Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a set of led headlights this weekend on my 04 TJ. The lights have the option and wire to either incorporate a turn signal or daytime running light. I'd like to do the drl option so they will turn on when the vehicle is running without having to turn on the parking lights. Does anyone know of a power source in either the turn signal harness or side maker light harness that would do this and if so what color is the wire? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
First don't care for DLR next no wire in light harness only has power when engine is running as you can turn on lights with engine off and only turn signals require key on or acce but the also require turn signal be activated so a no go there

Many places to get power only when key on but not designed to power lights so only use them to close relay to supply direct fuse protected battery power to your day time lights

Possible source for key controlled relay control includes the injectors or coil power as they are constant on when and only when key is on

The actual injector pulse and coil spark control is via ground side control

But lights that you cannot turn off are a bad idea and tend to piss of guards at military and other guarded installations

·
Registered
799 Posts
If it were me I would probably use a relay and control the coil in the relay off the acc/run of the ignition like the radio or the the extra switched factory power outlet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it were me I would probably use a relay and control the coil in the relay off the acc/run of the ignition like the radio or the the extra switched factory power outlet.
That's what I was thinking, probably going to run it to the power outlet in the cab. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
What did you end up going with. I want to do the same thing to a degree but run a switch inside to allow for turning it off if I want

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up taping into the power outlet wire in the dash so it turns on any time the jeep is running or key is turned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sweet deal simple really. I want to do this to my actual head lights and add a switch to toggle in on an off as needed. It is the same thing really but I like having my lights on anytime I have the car on and not have to worry about leaving them on unintentionally.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Biglen718, I've got an '02 Sport and have been researching LED headlights. Have a few questions: (1) how do you like the LED headlights you installed? (2) did you have to install the anti-flicker harness? (3) have you had any problems with the DRL's connected to the switched power outlet? Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

First post from me to this forum. There's a ton of great information here!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts