Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2013 2 Door Sahara has Fuel Wheels and BFG Mud Terrains in the stock Rubicon size. They have been on the Jeep for 2 years. Out of the blue, driving in a straight line on dry pavement the ABS/TRAC CONTROL lights go on and the vehicle jerks to the right - the steering wheel gets pulled out of her hands. She's a little freaked out about it.

She takes it to the dealer and the service writer says that the reason it did that , is since it has aftermarket wheels and tires, the RF tire size was entered wrong in the vehicles computer and that threw the transmission "out of whack".

Are tire sizes entered into our Jeeps computers? This is not making sense to me but before I challenge it I thought I might seek some wisdom here.
Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorta, but the stock Sahara size tires are the same size as the Rubicon ones. Doesn't even matter, what you experienced had nithing to do with the transmission. That sounds like a the safety systems went out of wack and engaged on the right side.

But also, I have a Sport with the S package which has the 17s with 32 inch tires. It was only set for the base trims size of 29 inches. So even off the dealer lot its not set for the exact size anyway.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Aside from the fact you've been running this set up for two years and the problem has just now cropped up I see to issues.

A) The service writer would have zero idea what's the in the computer so he pulled that out of his butt.

B) I don't believe there is any programmer available than can input, or if the computer will even accept, different sizes for each tire. There is a single size input that would apply to all tires. The size is there (even Jeep sells Wranglers with different size tires) so the computer can calculate the speedo, transmission shift points, etc.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
18" Sahara wheels with stock tires and Rubicon 17" wheels with stock tires are interchangeable. No adjustment has to be made if either are mounted on a JK. I have no idea what the alleged service writer is talking about, only that his/her knowledge is limited, let alone mentioning that the trans. caused the problem. If tire sizes happen to be changed through the use of an aftermarket or Chrysler Starscan programmer it's not done per side, RF, LF, etc. It's one adjustment. If a proper adjustment has to be made, and it is made, then the trans. (auto trans. only) shift points will be more in line with the proper tire adjustment. It sounds like you might have a bad wheel speed sensor at the RF side, if that's what he's alluding to.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My sport with the s package was factory set for 32" tires and 3.21 gears. As it should have been. That was reprogrammed for accuracy with the lift, tires, and gears. So yes, our wranglers are programmed for said specifics and a discrepancy can certainly affect the automatics especially. That said.. This is my first straight-front-axle vehicle, and it took a while to get comfortable with those unnoticeable one-sided-road-imperfections that grab the wheel and abruptly veer. Although I don't ever recall that tripping the traction control.

OP. Has the said incident happened again or since?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
pure BS !!

If all 4 tires are the same size they will have no effect on the drive train. ABS. TRAC control.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill be talking to the dealer tomorrow. It sounded like bull crap to me. Plus they are trying to charge me $150 to look at it and lay that BS line on me.

·
Registered
599 Posts
As mentioned stock Sahara tires are the exact same diameter as stock Rubicon tire diameter. No computer tire size change would be required in that case.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Some of the symptoms you mention sound like the steering wheel not being perfectly centered and activating the traction control.
This is what I was thinking. Is your alignment or steering wheel off center at all?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The steering wheel is probably a few degrees off center. Maybe 3/4 of an inch at most. I'll recenter it this weekend.

Should be an interesting discussion with the service advisor today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts