Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 13 JKU 10A. First Jeep I have owned since 1987. Love it so far, but man, so much plastic.

Have read lots of post here about the headlights sucking so I got the IPF upgrade from a local guy. Did the install today, easy peasy.

What I was stunned by was not the increased lighting (havent been out after dark since the install), but the complete lack of quality in the OE part. The OE parts are just basic plastic. I don't feel like I need to see the quality of the IPF upgrade, I can feel it when I pick it up.

I am sure the IPF upgrade is awesome. But right now I am just stunned at the complete lack of quality in the OE part.

Next up, swapping out the fog lights for driving lights. No fog where I live, but lots of critters on the road at night.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
And those IPF headlights will make SUCH a difference! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Or just avoid the issue completely and install a set of Truck-lite LED headlights and Rigid Dually LEDs in the factory fog location. Now you've got light!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just got my 13 JKU 10A. First Jeep I have owned since 1987. Love it so far, but man, so much plastic.

Have read lots of post here about the headlights sucking so I got the IPF upgrade from a local guy. Did the install today, easy peasy.

What I was stunned by was not the increased lighting (havent been out after dark since the install), but the complete lack of quality in the OE part. The OE parts are just basic plastic. I don't feel like I need to see the quality of the IPF upgrade, I can feel it when I pick it up.

I am sure the IPF upgrade is awesome. But right now I am just stunned at the complete lack of quality in the OE part.

Next up, swapping out the fog lights for driving lights. No fog where I live, but lots of critters on the road at night.
All jk oem headlights are garbage, ever since their conception. Its funny... or sad, because if you remain with the stock headlights, and you turn on the fogs, you will be amazed by how helpful stock fog lights are on the road with the amount of extra light.

·
Premium Member
7,470 Posts
Be careful if you do too much beyond replacing the headlight bulbs while still under warranty. If you have an electrical problem in the system they're liable to claim it was somehow caused by the aftermarket lights.

I replaced the stock bulbs with a set of Philips X-treme (same wattage rating as OEM) and that's the extent of what I'm doing headlight-wise for now.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Or just avoid the issue completely and install a set of Truck-lite LED headlights and Rigid Dually LEDs in the factory fog location. Now you've got light!
Heh. Dually's not installed as fog lights, but on the front bumper, and they have earned the nickname 'retina burners'! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Be careful if you do too much beyond replacing the headlight bulbs while still under warranty. If you have an electrical problem in the system they're liable to claim it was somehow caused by the aftermarket lights.
I don't buy this... I guess they can claim whatever they want but I just put in a Dot approved stock wattage KC H4 kit with correct harnesses. It would be virtually impossible to cause a problem when using correct wattage parts and harnesses, in my opinion. Splicing in or using high wattage bulbs, then maybe.

Yes, JK stock lights are the worst I've seen in a very long time. I have KC H4's and 55w fogs to help me see now. I don't even use the stock fogs anymore because they are low output rubbish like the headlights.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
In other words, keep the stock lights so if anything goes wrong you can put them back in before the trip to the dealership
I agree. I'm keeping mine as I don't trust the stealership.

I can see! Not the best pic, but you can tell they're bright

·
Registered
590 Posts
Interesting, someone says the 2014's have been improved and others who have taken delivery of a recent 2013 said the same. When was your jeep built?

NC

·
Registered
583 Posts
I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I traded a 2002 C5 Corvette for a 2013 JK Unlimited. To me the Jeep lights are light years ahead of the C5. Stevie Wonder could drive the Corvette at night and see as well as most drivers could.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Interesting, someone says the 2014's have been improved and others who have taken delivery of a recent 2013 said the same. When was your jeep built?

NC
Unless they changed the assemblies, H13 bulbs or some part of the electrical system - there are supposed to be very little change to the 14's. My 13' I bought in March has horrible headlights. Like I posted before, my 55w 5" KC fogs put out much more light than my stock low beams did, measured by a light meter.

I don't have a 14', can't really speculate.

Drove my father's 12' Dodge Ram and his headlights kicked ass. Better reflectors and better bulbs I am sure. The eyes don't lie.

For $230 I got my KC fogs & KC h4 headlights. I'm glad that I did as I can see better at night, without blinding anyone.

·
Registered
470 Posts

I replaced the stock bulbs with a set of Philips X-treme (same wattage rating as OEM) and that's the extent of what I'm doing headlight-wise for now.
Totally true statement...and I truly respect what you are saying. On the other hand, that is the same good reason not to put in a lift, flash the computer, put bigger tires, etc until the warranty runs out. I think life is too short...enjoy it NOW....and IF something goes wrong, deal with it as it comes. Have a good night

·
Registered
503 Posts
is it legal to drive with Dually's as fog lights?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are used to. My XJ headlights SUCKED. Even with an upgraded harness and lights I didn't like it. I got into my '12 JK and was very happy with the light. My '13 is just as good.

Of course, I did add Hella Black Magics and hooked them to the brights. WOW!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts