Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG these headlights are bad!! This is my first nightime outing since I got my new '13 JK. (in gloomy rainy Oregon which is 9 months out of the year).

High beams are actually even worse!!

Is this a "Jeep Thing"?

I just ordered some Philips 2008 bulbs. Geez I hope these will help!!!

(sorry about the whining!)

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Aside from and upgrade to the complete headlights and harness, the Philips X-treme Power are an improvement.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Phillips extreme are a goodish upgrade, but not mind blowing

I have the Phillips extreme +80 bulbs. With the $10 rebate (through halloween) the pair only cost me $21 off amazon. This link will give you the ones for stock replacement. Philips H13 9008 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2:Amazon:Automotive

They are better than the stock bulbs. They are bright white light vs orange. They have more fill light close to the jeep and a bit more to the sides. They are not as impressive as stock headlights and fog lights. I now don't use my fog lights often though as a supplement. The Phillips bulbs don't make the light reach out further. The brights are much more impressive than the stock. Overall they are just a mild upgrade. If you cannot stand the stock lights these are not going to be enough of an upgrade.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Major Lighting Upgrade 101 for people willing to spend $250+

It took me awhile to sort this out. Literally hours of reading lighting threads. If you want a big boost to your lighting you will want to understand these basics. Right now I don't have the money for anything besides the modest Philips X-Treme +80 stock (H13 2008) bulb upgrade.

H4 UPGRADE
The factory H13 bulb size is very limited with lighting options. Going to an H4 plug opens up tons more options for bulbs and enclosures. It also allows you to do LED aftermarket options. This conversion can be done with just a short plug to plug conversion called a pig-tail. That's a pretty good option for low voltage LED's. For halogen lighting (the stock lighting is halogen) it is better to get a full harness.

HARNESS WITH RELAYS
The full wire harness has the advantage of more direct full power from that battery and also less voltage fluctuation. If you want a more indeph answer how it works you can find it here-> Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply. Based off hilldwellers findings the factory fluxuates from 4.5-12.6V vs a steady 14V. With halogens less voltage = less light.
WHERE TO BUY
The most common place to get the harness is from
BEST CHEAP H4 OPTIONS
I'll try to boil down the best of the headlight shootout ->Headlight Shootout - JeepForum.com
HALOGEN

LED
Truck-Lites $421 Discountfleetsupply.com is the cheapest solution -discount to members use code lifeisgood5. You need to get the H13-H4 adapter. These don't burn out. Don't get the Phase 6. Get the Phase 7. They often are not sold in pairs. They don't put out heat so they may suck in winter. There are also people who complain that they have an "X" artifact were the lights cross in the distance. There is also a very minor flicker when close to idling. As of this writing they have a harness that addresses this, but I'm not sure its on the market yet. It creates a bit of a delay going to and from your brights. There light cuts off like a knife vs halogens. Also the spread is not quite as nice as a Cibie.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
i'm used to driving a '96 200sx, which are basically two candles stuck behind a yellowed out plastic housing, so my '12 headlights opened up a whole new world for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed 6000k HID lights on my wife's Nissan and love them. As soon as my JK finally arrives it is one of the first things I will do. They are an off Chinese brand but the seller gives a two year warranty. Lived up to it when one of the ballasts on her car went six months after purchase. I will post before and after photos once I do it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The 1941 model probably had better headlights. At least they weren't plastic.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It took me awhile to sort this out. Literally hours of reading lighting threads. If you want a big boost to your lighting you will want to understand these basics. Right now I don't have the money for anything besides the modest Philips X-Treme +80 stock (H13 2008) bulb upgrade.

Thank you for boiling all this down into a concise summary. I was overwhelmed with the 100's of headlight related threads.

My Plan A is the Philips H13 bulbs for $21 AR and see if they at least get me to "adequate". It seems like a "no brainer" to start there and see how they do.

If a Plan B is needed I'll consider the H4 options. It sounds like the starting point for this will be several "benjamins".

·
Registered
297 Posts
davefr said:
Thank you for boiling all this down into a concise summary. I was overwhelmed with the 100's of headlight related threads.

My Plan A is the Philips H13 bulbs for $21 AR and see if they at least get me to "adequate". It seems like a "no brainer" to start there and see how they do.

If a Plan B is needed I'll consider the H4 options. It sounds like the starting point for this will be several "benjamins".
Not a fan of the HID drop in kits. Here in Northern VA, the drop in kits will get you a ticket.

I went for the "plan B" proper cut off beam and a huge improvement.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Did you do the install yourself? About how long did it take? And what degree of difficulty was it I have know real auto experience but hate my jeeps lights and here in rainy Portland better lights are needed
Yep self-install... VERY easy job. They even supply a quality wire harness that is 100% plug and play. It has a serviceable proper relay set-up, No flicker, no drama.

Pull the grill (very easy,clips)
pull the headlights(4 screws ea)
plug in the harness, connect to battery, ground and click it together.
Install new H4 lights, grill and have a beer/coffee of your choice. :thumb:

It was my 2nd mod I did, I think it took all of 30-45min.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi from Sweden

Strange, we gets the Hella H4 headlight (rallylight??) as stock for the wranglers in europe. Probably every country outside US gets this headlights.

I do not think mine are so good so the US headlights are even worse ? :eek:

Bigger picture and more detail of my stock headlights here

20121029_073544small.jpg photo - Omar Brännström photos at pbase.com

Smaller here, the black bars are Rugged ridge guards

You can see my stocklight H4 here against the Dually D2

Dually D2 Driving beam from Rigid Industries on a 2 door Sahara Wrangler 2012, Part one - YouTube

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
What about going with something like a Sylvania Silverstar, or would this just be a waste of time and money? I've been thinking about a headlight upgrade as well. I just don't wanna spend a ton of money on it...

·
Registered
583 Posts
How about some prescription glasses?

·
Registered
297 Posts
That looks like a nice kit but there are a whopping 14 choices for bulbs. How do you choose the bulbs with that many choices?? Are there major differences?? What works best??
At that point of the purchase, just throw a dart and guess. Every choice is 10X better then your OEM stuff. :D

I have tried the philips extreme and hella 80/100. The hella have a tiny bit more light, but the extreme look whiter.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
The Hella 100/80W offer a good combination of light output and life.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts