Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I don't know if I'm not searching the right terms or what but I can't find much on this.
Our JK is not switching modes properly. It always blows out of the front vents even when its on floor/defrost.
This just started within the last few days.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
That one's new to me, this might be worth a shot.

If you take your glove box out (two pins at top) you should be able to see the actuator arms moving the flaps inside as you switch from one mode to the next.

Try each mode, look for anything loose, bound up or broken.

If all else fails and your still in the 3/36 period repair should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Try searching for jeep wrangler climate control panel. I know that there have been a few issues with them on the 14' models. I've had mine in once already for it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sebastian mine does the same thing, for some reason if I switch back to defrost then to floor sometimes it changes, I will have to take to dealer which I hate because they will take all day at least.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I love taking crap to the dealer... 4 or 5 times till they get it right.
Wish crap would just be built to last more than a few months. The clutch is creaking too which I already took it in for once. Their fix lasted about half a day.
I don't like other people working on my stuff because it seems to never come back quite right. Although I did get my high idle turned on for my Cummins for free at the dealer because I bet the tech his paycheck it had the option and he was sure it didn't. So he had to find out. I was right...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Gotta love a computer controlled diverter. Just be glad it's not your power windows. I've had the windows roll themselves up and down, along with the diverter issue that you are having. It's all computer controlled, so usually by the time you get it to the dealer, it's working fine again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sebastian mine does the same thing, for some reason if I switch back to defrost then to floor sometimes it changes, I will have to take to dealer which I hate because they will take all day at least.
my '13 does this too. i have to go all the way to defrost and then carefully come back to the one that i want. too lazy to deal with the dealer, especially as i know they won't actually fix it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Mine did it for a week, I had to set it to defrost first and then come back to where I wanted it.

I disconnected the battery to reset everything and it cleared the problem.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
my 2014 JKU sport S just started doing this. I'll try disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
confirmed, seems to have worked. Apparently the HVAC controls are built by microsoft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hate to revive an old thread, but it's relevant to my issue. I've searched for about a half hour and this thread pertains to the exact issue that I'm experiencing.

Did simply disconnecting the battery fix the issue long-term?

I have a 2013 Sport that I purchased in May 2016, and have just needed the heater the last couple of days. I'm having the same issue where the knob is selected to blow out the floor vents, but the air comes out the dash vents. I turn the knob to defrost for a second or two then back to floor and it works like it should. I park the vehicle with the knob still on floor, then when I get back in and start it up, air blows out the dash vents. Turn to defrost and back to floor, and it works. That can be annoying.

I have a little over a month on my warranty, and wanted to verify that disconnecting the battery indeed remedied the issue. Otherwise, a trip to the dealer is forthcoming (while there's still time).

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I hate to revive an old thread, but it's relevant to my issue. I've searched for about a half hour and this thread pertains to the exact issue that I'm experiencing.

Did simply disconnecting the battery fix the issue long-term?

I have a 2013 Sport that I purchased in May 2016, and have just needed the heater the last couple of days. I'm having the same issue where the knob is selected to blow out the floor vents, but the air comes out the dash vents. I turn the knob to defrost for a second or two then back to floor and it works like it should. I park the vehicle with the knob still on floor, then when I get back in and start it up, air blows out the dash vents. Turn to defrost and back to floor, and it works. That can be annoying.

I have a little over a month on my warranty, and wanted to verify that disconnecting the battery indeed remedied the issue. Otherwise, a trip to the dealer is forthcoming (while there's still time).
Only worked for me for a day. I think its a bad capacitor. Only temp fix is to put the vent selector switch all the way to the right then back again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mine does the same exact thing and I'm way out of the 36 mile warranty ......could of been when they reprogrammed it awhile ago? very annoying
You bring up a good point. I had my JK in for routine maintenance mid-October and they flashed the computer with an update. Then it turns cold and I notice the situation with the vent selector.

I bought my JK last May and used the heat only a few times and don't remember this issue.

I have another month of warranty, and plan to take it in for repair. I'll let you know what they find (if anything).

Thanks, nighowl2000, for your response.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what's the latest? My 13 JKU just started doing this tonight. I love my ATC and now have to rotate to the defrost setting and back. No more auto-selecting. And it defaults to the face vents no matter what is selected.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Ive got the stupid Rear Defrost light blinking every time at start up. If I unlock the door and get in the jeep and just sit in it - I hear the actuators for the blend door and the vent selector motors going for a few minutes...

Need to take it in - just too cheap since it works after a minute or so.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ok my '14 JKU is doing this now too. I have auto climate control and it will only blow in my face unless I manually switch it to defrost for a few seconds then back to where I want it. Turn off the Jeep and turn it back on and it blows in my face again even if the selector is on floor vents.
Anyone gotten this fixed yet? Maybe I'll have the dealer check it out when I take it in for the airbag recall since i have the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’m having the same issue. My Jeep didn’t come with the auto climate control. But in the morning if I start the Jeep I can switch between defrost and few but if I try to go to face it won’t switch. After a few seconds of moving the switch back and forth it will finally switch. I replaced my control head (piece with the knobs) to fix the blinking defrost light a few weeks ago and it did fix that. But now it does this every morning

·
Registered
46 Posts
I want to update this thread. Last Monday, I experienced the same with my 2016 Wrangler. Just before the issue occurred I went off road and had a blast! When I crawled the Wrangler out of a crater on the trail I dropped the front end down hard on the trail. When I was driving to work last tuesday I wanted to switch the air direction from defrost to floor. The air mode actuator did not budge. It was stuck in defrost.
I removed the glove box to get a good look at the air vent actuator. The actuator gear that drives the larger gear, which moves the paddle drum that directs the air, popped off track. What I did to fix it was jab my finger on the large white nylon plastic gear and apply pressure while I switch the air direction from Defrost to the Dash front. (fan needs to be on ). Now it works fine.

When you drive on trails, or roads peppered with potholes, be sure not to use the dash or defrost air modes. These modes are on the ends of the slot on the large gear, use either of the two middle settings.

I did my best at tightening it all up. I'll post photos next time I have it apart. Also
there are other ways this can happen. If you have an ipod or whatever in your glovebox connected to your headunit like I do, make sure the cable will never fall into the large white gear. I had my cable tied up with zip ties and secured. The only way
it could of occurred was when I was off road.

Jeep dropped the ball on the design of the Air Diverter and Air Blender. Both actuators appear to be able to go off track when offroading or driving on rough pavement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts