Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I just joined this forum after reading a post similar to an issue that has just started with my '13 JKU. But that post hasn't been updated for a year.
My details:
6spd, no lift, 101k, larger tires, taken care of.

At times, under acceleration, it seems to 'buck' or 'slip' - like someone just tapped the clutch in for a second.
No lights come on the dash when this happens and it has happened in multiple gears.
The tread I read mentioned the plugs/wires - which could be something as they haven't been changed.
I want to rule out the traction control because of no lights, but...
As I understand it, the clutch is hydraulic, so no electric nannies causing issue.
Could anyone shed some light?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
If the engine RPMs rise during this "slip", then the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced.

If the engine is missing or hesitating, that's a completely different issue. Could be traction control due to a faulty sensor, or a misfire condition.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is it kind of like a slight delay in power to the wheels but no spike in rpms the way it would if clutch were depressed? Could be motor mounts getting worn out. Usually you can feel/hear a bit of a thunk as the motor rocks and then drops. If its only under quick/moderate acceleration and not at slow starts/low acceleration then might check the motor mounts.

2011 JKU. NBTX

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the engine RPMs rise during this "slip", then the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced.

If the engine is missing or hesitating, that's a completely different issue. Could be traction control due to a faulty sensor, or a misfire condition.
Thanks for the ideas and input - it happens so quickly it's hard to know when it happens and it doesn't really get the chance for the RPMs to rise. If it were the traction control, my first thought, wouldn't it throw a light even for a second?

It's not undrivable, so I'm going to keep going until something either really fails or it stops doing it....at least then I'll know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it kind of like a slight delay in power to the wheels but no spike in rpms the way it would if clutch were depressed? Could be motor mounts getting worn out. Usually you can feel/hear a bit of a thunk as the motor rocks and then drops. If its only under quick/moderate acceleration and not at slow starts/low acceleration then might check the motor mounts.

2011 JKU. NBTX
Thanks for this - I never would have thought of motor mounts. Would that be just moving the engine and that is making the clutch 'slip'?
It did it tonight as I decelerated then got back on the throttle, so it would have rocked the engine. Hmmm.
What am I looking for in the mounts? cracks? smooshed? I'm assuming if I see them broken - that's the culprit. I check tomorrow when it's light out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Sounds like the engine is skipping a beat to me. There's probably some pending codes in the computer. I would scan it to see.

Clutches will usually slip under load in higher gears. For example, if you let off and then floor the throttle in 4th at about 35mph. It's pretty obvious when it slips because the engine revs higher and you don't go faster.

Loose mounts will usually manifest as a rough idle and result in the engine rocking back and forth when the load changes, but it won't interrupt the power/acceleration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the engine is skipping a beat to me. There's probably some pending codes in the computer. I would scan it to see.

Clutches will usually slip under load in higher gears. For example, if you let off and then floor the throttle in 4th at about 35mph. It's pretty obvious when it slips because the engine revs higher and you don't go faster.

Loose mounts will usually manifest as a rough idle and result in the engine rocking back and forth when the load changes, but it won't interrupt the power/acceleration.

Thanks for posting.

So, no codes in the system, and I'm pretty sure it's not a typical clutch slip because I can let off and floor it in multiple gears and it doesn't rev higher.
I'm checking the motor mounts today, but it doesn't idle rough or vibrate any other time.
I went wheelin' this past Sunday and experienced no issues - other than stalling it myself....

Just keeps getting stranger...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts