Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owning two JK's with ~60K miles on them seems like it is something new every week, be it maintenance, upgrade, or fixing something!

Noticed a chirp coming from my engine bay while driving around today. Recently put a soft top on it, and it is pretty noticeable and kinda loud now!

Did some checking and looking and it is coming from the AC compressor, whenever it cycles on. AC Compressor seems to cycle on and off every 20-30 seconds at ~2000 RPM (which could be another issue). So the chirp is pretty consistent.

Preliminary thought is that the belt isn't tight enough, causing a slight chirp every time the clutch kicks on or off. Of course, since the JK has a belt tensioner, makes me wonder if it is going bad. I hate just throwing parts at things, but with approximately 60K miles on it, might be time to replace the idler pulleys and belt anyway. But I'm torn with the belt tensioner (of course, since it is $100+, that has something to do with it!). The idler pulleys and belt aren't too bad price wise.

Anyone out there have similar symptoms? How did you fix it?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Could be belt and tensioner or it could be the AC compressor. Has any work been done on the AC system?

The compressor is cycling on/off because something is not right. Is it overcharged or under charged? I wouldn't wing tensioner and a belt, unless the belt seems loose (maybe press on the belt and see if there is much deflection). Also before going after the belt/tensioner, what are the hi/lo pressures on the the AC?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if any work has been done to the AC system, I've only owned it a couple months now.

I haven't pulled the pressures for the AC system yet. AC still cools just fine. I'll try to do that tonight.

The chirp is coming from the clutch, you can hear it (above 2000 RPM) when you cycle the AC on and off (IE push the AC button on the HVAC controls). It was pretty easy to ID where the chirp was coming from with the wife inside the Jeep, and me outside.

Went ahead and replaced the idler pulleys, tensioner and belt, chirp is still there.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Just like you described, I once had a similar chirp on another vehicle. It also happened every time the AC cycled 'on'. As the AC cycled on/off, I could even hear it inside the cabin on out of town quiet and steady drives on the freeway.

It turned out to be the AC clutch itself - new AC clutch fixed it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts