Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

I absolutely love this forum and have gotten a ton of great information here. I have read a lot of stereo upgrade posts, but not very many of them seem to apply to the very base 130 Stereo that is in my 2012 JK Sport. As mentioned, I have the most basic 130 stereo and speakers. No Sirius or Uconnect. I love the idea of upgrading to a 430N RHB head unit because of the ability to store music in the HU and because it does have the Garmin GPS in it. Is this an easy "plug n play" situation? I don't really care about using the Bluetooth or the hands free phone capability. Just the music storage and the GPS.

If this is an easy "plug n play" application, I would also go ahead and upgrade all of my speakers to the Infinity6032si's as well as order the Alpine tweeters and do Pressurized "tweeter capacitor upgrade"

I would love to know everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I believe you will have to add a navi antenna. My 2012 has the factory Sirius and I read someone where my Sirius antenna (that is in the overhead roll bar) doubles as the navi antenna also. I added the 430 RBZ without navi and it has the hard drive for music storage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Terrypm. So you upgraded to the 430 RBZ from the base 130 with Sirius? Did you stay with the base 130 system speakers? Did the 430 RBZ just plug in work right away?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I upgraded mine.

Since I have uconnect package, nagivation worked as soon as I plugged two cables to new system.
(whole swap took me 5 minutes...ok, 10 minutes..lol).

I use same speakers (though, I have speakers from the doner jeep).

Oh, mine is 2013 (and the system is also from 2013). I believe Jeep changed color scheme for 2013.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport I just bought, I can't function without Bluetooth, hands free talking. What's the cost for the upgraded stereo? I couldn't find it on mopars website

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks Terrypm. So you upgraded to the 430 RBZ from the base 130 with Sirius? Did you stay with the base 130 system speakers? Did the 430 RBZ just plug in work right away?
Yes I went from the 130 to 430. I have not changed out my speakers. There are several threads on the forum where others have upgraded their speakers and installed a small amp.
Since my Wrangler came from the factory with the connectivity package, the Bluetooth, steering wheel controls and voice recognition for the radio
work and it is a plug and play.
There was someone selling a add on Bluetooth connectivity module in the for sale section that you could add to a Wrangler that was not factory equipped with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since I don't care about the Bluetooth or hands free phone, I'm assuming that if I just remove my 130 head and replace it with the 430N RHB head, the music download capability and the GPS will work without further upgrades? (Will need to ad a GPS antenna?)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have the 730N Uconnect in my 2015, and I had the 130 in my 2007 trust me moving from the 130 to another Uconnect head unit ain't an upgrade by any stretch of the imagination, my 730 is 2 months old, give me $1500 and it is yours.

If I was in your situation I would look at a 3rd party unit, no reason to stick with Uconnect, hopefully my next Wrangler can come without this Uconnect junk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the 730N Uconnect in my 2015, and I had the 130 in my 2007 trust me moving from the 130 to another Uconnect head unit ain't an upgrade by any stretch of the imagination, my 730 is 2 months old, give me $1500 and it is yours.

If I was in your situation I would look at a 3rd party unit, no reason to stick with Uconnect, hopefully my next Wrangler can come without this Uconnect junk.
I do not have Uconnect with my stock 130 head unit. I don't really care about having it. What I like about going to a 430N RBZ head unit is the ability to store music directly in that HU and also the GPS

·
Registered
671 Posts
Uconnect is the name of these head units, like Alpine, Sony etc, it is kinda of a misleading name since not all have any sort of connectivity features, also getting it for the GPS you must consider that maps are $150 for each update.

If all you are looking for is storing music, consider a 3rd party HU with a USB port and store music on a USB stick.

When I had the 130 in my older jeep I bought a cheap mp3 player and used the aux, tossed the mp3 player under the seat, get a flat cable and run it along the side of the centre console I used to push the cable into the crease, no one casually looking into the Jeep could see where that cable ended and the mp3 player at the end of it.

In my opinion these Uconnect units are not worth the money, you can get a much better 3rd party unit for less, as for GPS, I have it with the 730 and I prefer to use the GPS on my phone, maps updates are free for my phone go figure. Also the benefits of GPS on your phone is your favorite places can me accessed from any device, phone, pc and tablet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uconnect is the name of these head units, like Alpine, Sony etc, it is kinda of a misleading name since not all have any sort of connectivity features, also getting it for the GPS you must consider that maps are $150 for each update.

If all you are looking for is storing music, consider a 3rd party HU with a USB port and store music on a USB stick.

When I had the 130 in my older jeep I bought a cheap mp3 player and used the aux, tossed the mp3 player under the seat, get a flat cable and run it along the side of the centre console I used to push the cable into the crease, no one casually looking into the Jeep could see where that cable ended and the mp3 player at the end of it.

In my opinion these Uconnect units are not worth the money, you can get a much better 3rd party unit for less, as for GPS, I have it with the 730 and I prefer to use the GPS on my phone, maps updates are free for my phone go figure. Also the benefits of GPS on your phone is your favorite places can me accessed from any device, phone, pc and tablet.
Jeep1029, you make some excellent points! I may go with the cheap MP3 player idea for a while and eventually get a 3rd party HU and go with the USB stick. The only draw back to the MP3 with the 130 HU is that there is no way to control the MP3 player from the 130 HU. Thanks for the ideas!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts