Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new front axle housing assembly (PR44 or TF44 still thinking on that one) and one question is which pinion yoke should I get 1310 or 1350 and why? The other question is that I assume the stock flange pinion yoke gets tossed and the U joint just sits in the saddle of the new pinion yoke. If this is the case than am I also to assume that I should just put in a new U joint at this time? I am keeping the stock drive shaft until next year when the $$ well fills back up.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
From my limited understanding, the 1310 is capable for moderate trail usage with up to a 37 inch tire. Some run them for both the front and rear. 1350 if your going to 38-40s and if you plan on beating your jeep up pretty hard.

Tom Woods has info on his site about even pairing the 1310 front with a 1350 rear since most incline situations when wheeling transfer the stress to the rear.

I don't know much yet about the differences in yokes.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You might want to check and see if the stock DS and U - Joint will be compatible with the new yoke setup.
If I'm not mistaken I thought I read somewhere the stock U-Joint is crimped into the lobes of the DS
And is not even serviceable . Might save you a headache down the road to check it out....

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
you arent reusing the stock driveshaft. I would get a 1310 shaft. if you need a 1350, you will already know. I am on 37's and one tons and I run a 1310 up front, 1350 in the rear. I only went with a 1350 rear because as far as I know, a 14 bolt 1310 yoke doesnt exist.

the stock ujoint is not easily replaceable. they were not designed to be removed.

I have had 0 issues with my tom woods shaft. adams is also great.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Tom Woods has info on his site about even pairing the 1310 front with a 1350 rear since most incline situations when wheeling transfer the stress to the rear.
this is true. also, in some cases a 1310 can see a little more angle.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I read this right I f I plan on keeping the stock drive shaft I have to get the OEM pinion yoke on the new housing or buy a new drive shaft and get the 1310 pinion yoke

·
Registered
832 Posts
Correct. JMHO, of course, but you'd be best served tossing the stock front driveshaft and getting a quality aftermarket double cardan shaft from Tom Woods, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct. JMHO, of course, but you'd be best served tossing the stock front driveshaft and getting a quality aftermarket double cardan shaft from Tom Woods, etc.
In a perfect world I would but I have already gone over my MOD budget for this year. There is no room for a new drive shaft. The problem with not being rich, you have to do things a piece at a time

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
In a perfect world I would but I have already gone over my MOD budget for this year. There is no room for a new drive shaft. The problem with not being rich, you have to do things a piece at a time
preaching to the choir man! I just put my jeep on tons with an E5 salary, I know all about being jeep poor. I would order the axle with a 1310 yoke and run no front driveshaft until you can get one. it provides a little motivation to save some money!

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I decided to stay with the stock DS until the money tree blooms again. I can't run without it as that would mean staying off of trails and I can't do that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts