Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front driveshaft is giving me a vibration at about 60mph...it's a 1350 double cardan...when I first was installed no issues...it maybe has 15k on it and I've had the slip rebuilt twice on it and replaced the axle u joints, which reduces some of the vibration. I'm thinking that the double cardan is bad. When I pull it the joint is loose in terms of flexing as in it just flops around when I spin the shaft. It is tight in that if I pull on the joint there is no give in the joints....I've been told the joint should be stiff but moveable....any driveline guys out there? Debating fixing the joint or replacing the shaft all together...tired of throwing good money after bad on this shaft. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Who built it? That will at least tell us some of the parts used in the original build of it. Some custom DS companies are using much cheaper parts these days.

Also, how do the angles look with an angle finder/clinometer? You can download apps for free to measure these. Could be that the angles are just enough to wear things prematurely, or it could be lesser quality parts or a combination of the 2. That's just my first thought here. It could be plenty of other things as well. It does sound like the DC is kind of loose, though its tough to tell without having it in my hands.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a Krawl Off-road shaft...all spicer parts....I have their rear shaft and no issues, they fixed it for me first time free of charge...so no complaints with them. Getting an fresh alignment tomorrow, but got prices to rebuild the double cardan which I might do now....I have a broken ankle so taking measurements is out right now....I'm hoping the double cardan is loose and probably presents itself at 2500 rpms

Who built it? That will at least tell us some of the parts used in the original build of it. Some custom DS companies are using much cheaper parts these days.

Also, how do the angles look with an angle finder/clinometer? You can download apps for free to measure these. Could be that the angles are just enough to wear things prematurely, or it could be lesser quality parts or a combination of the 2. That's just my first thought here. It could be plenty of other things as well. It does sound like the DC is kind of loose, though its tough to tell without having it in my hands.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
remove the shaft and take it to a driveline shop would be my suggestion. for one they can tell you if its out of balance, will know what the ends should be like vs what you have.
Nothing wrong will all spicer at all good stuff.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
There are driveline shops all over the place, NY should have lots. Really it's something that any experienced machine shop should be able to do for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts