Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinion? I have a set of 35 x 14.5 swampers to go on my yj. The tire says it needs a 15x10. I am considering going 15X8. Thoughts?

·
Registered
670 Posts
You can. Its not that uncommon. Most perfer a narrower wheel. You will have more sidewall buldge. The tire will look a lot more "baloony".
If you had the 15x8s already and were attached to em I would say go for it.

If you are going to get new or used ones just go for a 15x10. Or a 15x8 with a diy beadlock.

A lot of people run 19in wide boggers on 9.75 wheels.

Those CenCal poser trucks run 12.5s on 15in wide wheels haha.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
What happens running them on narrower rims? I have heard this before myself, never a solid explanation though. It's always "just don't do it". I know narrower is normally more desirable when aired down.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I worked maintenance in a firestone factory for several years.they had a section with machines to test tires.they would test these tires with different size rims,different air pressures,different loads and at different temperatures.they would test all the different tires under just about any condition you could imagine and run them until they blew out for what ever reason.So,I have seen first hand why the manufacturer knows a lot better than I do..

·
Registered
670 Posts
What happens running them on narrower rims? I have heard this before myself, never a solid explanation though. It's always "just don't do it". I know narrower is normally more desirable when aired down.
It causes the tires to baloon out from the wheel. If you dont run lower air pressure the center tread will wear down much quicker as well.

My buddy has 36 14.5 15 tsls (I think that is the size. I know they are 14.5 wide) on 15x8 wheels on his blazer and he has had them that way for around 4 years and probably 15k street miles.

There is also a mall crawler that rolls around my neighborhhod with completly bald 44x19x16.5 biggers on h1 beadlocks. So thats a 19wide on a 9.75 wheel.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I worked maintenance in a firestone factory for several years.they had a section with machines to test tires.they would test these tires with different size rims,different air pressures,different loads and at different temperatures.they would test all the different tires under just about any condition you could imagine and run them until they blew out for what ever reason.So,I have seen first hand why the manufacturer knows a lot better than I do..
Is this the same firestone tires that blew up and caused all those accidents? They sure know well :rofl:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
8" rims will hold up to a 12.50 tire maybe a little bigger, but the manufacturers recommend 10" wide rims. I prefer the narrower rims because I can air down way farther.

·
Registered
670 Posts
my point is that a manufacturer usually knows a lot more about their product than most of us do.no doubt that does not include you
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It's doable that's for sure, but is it safe? Is it safe for the road I mean? I know a alot of non DD Jeeps/Trucks that run really wide tires on narrow rims, but they don't see over 20mph.

·
Registered
712 Posts
15 x 10 it is! I want to drive mine on the road as well.
Good choice. What I've seen most on trail rigs, non bead lock, is about. 4" difference between the width of the tire and wheel. 14.5 wide tire on a 10" wide wheel and a 12.5" wide tire on a 8" wide wheel. For a 10" wide tire, a 7 inch tire is what I see recommended most.

You really don't see wide tires like a 14.5 on a narrow ish 8" wheel. I'm not sure why, I just don't see it. I'm sure there is a good reason but I don't know why.

As we all know, going the other way leaves your sidewall and bead more exposed to damage and more likely to pop a bead when wheeling aired down. Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts