Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
I thought you had 57 on the rear. If you are going to change, you might as well just buy brand new 19/60's. They don't cost much. You might get up to 2" in height.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
daggo66 said:
I thought you had 57 on the rear. If you are going to change, you might as well just buy brand new 19/60's. They don't cost much. You might get up to 2" in height.
Doh! Wow. Don't I feel sheepish. Yes. I am 57 in rear. Daggo knows my new ride better than I do!

Do you think it would look funny if I bought the 19/60's without swapping out my 275/75/17s?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Used springs on CL

Tom, I sent you a private message about this, but I'm going to post here too in case anyone else has input to offer. I found some '08 JKU springs on CL. Fronts are 16, Rears are 59. Asking $50 but I might get them for lower than that. Seller says there are about 50k miles on the springs.

1. Will '08 JKU springs work on my '12 JK?

2. Is it a bad idea to put springs with 50k miles on them on my new JK (just cleared 2k miles on mine?)

3. Think it would be worth it to go from 14/57 to 16/59?

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Yes, it will work. However, going from 14 to 16 isn't going to do much. Personally, I wouldn't put the older springs on. It doesn't cost much to purchase a brand new set.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
That's not enough of an increase up front to be worth the effort. Depending on cost I might consider using the 59s and then picking up some new fronts 19s as it might level out your jeep, but it might just be better to go new.

Edit: Swear to God I didn't see Tom's post before I posted this. :thumb:

·
First Jeep: M38A1
368 Posts
Do you need to go to longer shocks when you lift? Seems like the stock shocks would always be a bit extended otherwise, and limit the extension of your suspension.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I went from 14/55 to 19/60. I got about 2"

33" tires

·
Registered
4,765 Posts

16/19 will barely move you up. If you ordered new 19/60's from the online mopar store which were $159.00 when I got mine last year, you would probably get 1.5-2"? up front and 1 to 1.25? in rear since you already have more of a medium rear coil already

·
Registered
333 Posts
I went from 14/56 to 18/59 and got about 1 to 1.5 inches all round. (full tank of gas) These came off a JKU with about 2k miles and rubicon shocks.
I was not too happy cause I still had the front rake. I contemplated putting a leveling kit on it which would have given me another inch in back and 2 in front and gotten rid of the rake. This is a good inexpensive option. IMO

Since I had the cash I opted for full spring and shock replacement. I had a shop do it and it came out great. 2" springs in rear and 3". This gave me the same thing as a leveling kit.
Picture with 18/59 just installed.

With the Kobe steel springs and bilstine 5100 shocks. I am a happy camper now!

It all depends on what tires you plan to run. I wanted the option to run 33 to 35 inch tires. Needless to say my 18/59 springs and rubicon shocks will be going up for sale soon. I paid $265 for the set and shipping. You can probably get them cheaper NEW.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Kind of a dumb question but where can I buy springs from that I am able to specify the spring rate.
It really depends on the springs you have under them now. A lot of the JKU's already have stiffer spring and wont see much of a change. You really need either 14/55 or 13/54 or somewhere in that range to make this a worthwhile venture

I got mine from the Chrysler Parts Center via telephone at 800-519-5279

But here is the website. Chrysler Parts Center - Order Online- Genuine Dodge Parts, Genuine OEM Chrysler Parts and Accessories, Dodge Parts, Jeep Parts, Plymouth Parts, Eagle Parts

And here is a good thread on the swap

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/considering-a-spring-swap-55849.html

The part numbers are:

The front springs are part # 52126319AB

And the rears are part # 68004460AA

The backs were 35 each and the fronts were 43 each for a total of $156.00 with $25 shipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Understand the part number idea. But where do you differentiate the rate that the spring you are ordering is. I know how much of a pain in the ass the dealer can be when ordering things. They always need exact information and particulars. Thanks

1 - 20 of 61 Posts