Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 2014 jku rubicon today and the drive home I realized Highway speed’s the steering seems a little loose then I’d prefer. Now I get it’s lifted big tires It’s probably not going to be perfect but I think it should be better then it is. I am unfamiliar with jk jeeps only had older pre 2000 jeeps with leaf springs etc. I looked at my steering and is my assumption this is an aftermarket set up correct? Never seen brand new underneath before so I don’t have nothing to go by. If it is anyone have any ideas what kind? Any suggestions what to replace it with?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Looks like your left sway bar link is loose. That can’t be helping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shouldn’t really affect his drive home on the highway with “loose steering”.

My sway bars have been disconnected for almost a year, and the steering stabilizer would be the thing that affects the responsiveness of the steering.

That loose sway bar may give some body roll etc. Either way, I’d tighten it.

Good call. I saw the picture and dismissed it as “parked on an angle” which should NOT make the sway bar look like that.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good eye sight on that sway bar so much for the dealership going through it lol. I didn’t notice it myself when I took the picture but it was raining quickly snapped a few. I’ll definately tighten that up. I’ll try the steering stabilizer but it didn’t really seem like that was the case to me so much. The problem wasn’t that it didn’t want to return to strait so much as the Jeep just seemed you had to constantly correct the steering wheel to keep it strait like there was play in the system somewhere not keeping the wheels solidly in line with the steering wheel of that makes sense. To me it seemed like bad rod end at the pitman arm. Now I haven’t gotten to get under there and check for any kind of play either. But just explaining what it felt like the issue is from driving it stand point. I will try a cheap stabilizer though. Can’t hurt putting a new one in. I just have my doubts that’s entirely all of it. It looks like a decent steering setup under there but I have no clue what it is to even try find new rods for it. The dealership didn’t even think it was lifted and you can barely get in the thing lol so they most likely not going to be any help lol

·
Registered
284 Posts
Your drag link has been flipped. Did they raise the track bar as well? If not it will have bad bump steer. I raised my track bar with the parts I had before the steering kit arrived and above 45-50 mph it was damn near undrivable.

Also the left sway bar link looks like it’s on the wrong side of the mount tab. Right side looks correct on the inside of it. Left is on the outside.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I see that now one is on inside other outside. You guys have good eyes! I’ll definately correct it. Perhaps that’s why the 1 is loose couldn’t tighten it on the wrong side lol. I couldn’t tell you what has our hasn’t been done to this Jeep. Unfortunately I don’t know who built it to ask any info on it. Is there a sure fire way to tell if they raised the track bar? I had it up to 70 mph it drove ok except for the steering. That was manageable so I wouldn’t describe it as bad as you’re describing it.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Left swaybar link is on the wrong side of the axle tab, that’s why they are on an angle. They should be on the inside of the tabs.
I would also have an alignment check done.. your caster may be low which will cause drifting. Also be sure the tire pressure is where it should be. For 35” tires psi should be down below 30psi.

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
101 Posts
Dropped pitman! Do you have an axle raised track bar bracket? Oh boy. You have a drag link flip. You need to do.

1. Remove dropped pitman!
2. If you don't have an axle side raised trackbar bracket, put one on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dropped pitman! Do you have an axle raised track bar bracket? Oh boy. You have a drag link flip. You need to do.

1. Remove dropped pitman!
2. If you don't have an axle side raised trackbar bracket, put one on.
I am assuming it’s a drop pitman arm. Don’t know for a fact it is one. Figured that’s a semi normal way of correcting steering angles on a lifted truck/Jeep. Keep in mind here I’m more familiar with leaf spring vehicles.

I’ll have to look see if there is one or not. I couldn’t tell you off hand haven’t really gotten the time to get under it and investigate yet

·
Registered
101 Posts
I removed mine. Replaced with oem mopar
20210530_162620.jpg

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
You do have have a draglink flip (hi steer kit) but I can’t see if you have the lower track bar raise bracket. It’s hard to tell by the photo if you also have the drop pitman. Drop pitman is bad Ju Ju on a wrangler so the draglink flip is done instead.
The draglink and trackbar must be parallel in order for the suspension and steering to work properly together and not have bump steer.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
You do have have a draglink flip (hi steer kit) but I can’t see if you have the lower track bar raise bracket. It’s hard to tell by the photo if you also have the drop pitman. Drop pitman is bad Ju Ju on a wrangler so the draglink flip is done instead.
The draglink and trackbar must be parallel in order for the suspension and steering to work properly together and not have bump steer.

Sorry to piggy back on this, but I have a drop pitman...... what all do I need, and how feasible of a driveway job is the correction for a novice? My steering box broke and my wheel isn’t centered after replacement, so I need a fix anyways. I will show a picture and see if it helps

·
Registered
809 Posts
In addition to the other good recs made I would also grab a single plane rod end for that synergy drag link if it isnt running one. I had the older version with both ends the same/regular 1 ton ends. Updated to the single plane (1 for each) on the tie rod and DL and it eliminated any flop I had going on.

Check the synergy site it will list the available ends for the drag link.

Memory is going/i dont remember which end gets which one.

I only remember the single plane should be on opposing ends of the drag link and tie rod (I also run the synergy tie rod but you only have the synergy drag link from what I could tell).

What psi you running?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a pitman puller, and the box was installed a couple months ago, so hopefully “easier” to remove
I too think that is stock. If both nuts are pretty much in line....stock.
20210604_100244.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I corrected this real quick this morning and took some other pictures I’ll share in the next post. Not sure what bracket to look for someone else mentioned previously to make sure I put in if I didn’t have one. Can someone share a link to one so I know what to buy?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts