Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
The rpm kit I don’t believe comes with one. It specifically mentions needing one. If it by chance does come with one I’ll just sell whatever one I don’t like
Ok perfect I just added a pic to my post above for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was actually considering this. However I don’t know how to weld. Can turn nuts and bolts all day just never got around to the welding department. I got a guy who is excellent welder who does most of the stuff I need done. I was going to consult with him first see if it’s something he thinks he can do with the welder his job will let him take home for projects or not. Not that I really absolutely need all of this but it’ll get the job done and for the cost of it doesn’t look like a bad deal. Right now I am fine with going cheap figure out what my problems are fix said problems so that it drives well enough. I can go back with confidence replace this rugged ridge unit with something better once I get the kinks worked out.
View attachment 4513888
Those I mentioned are bolt on actually. There are weld on options as well.

$100 give or take for the bolt on. Weld on is cheaper until you add the welding part for a shop.

You can get discounted at a few places.

https://www.amazon.com/Synergy-Manu...ocphy=9003969&hvtargid=pla-537036342629&psc=1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Those I mentioned are bolt on actually. There are weld on options as well.

$100 give or take for the bolt on. Weld on is cheaper until you add the welding part for a shop.

You can get discounted at a few places.

https://www.amazon.com/Synergy-Manu...ocphy=9003969&hvtargid=pla-537036342629&psc=1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I know a guy fresh out of college courses for welding loves doing jobs outside his normal 9-5 for some extra $ generally pretty reasonable. I don’t mind throwing him some extra $ he does a good job with what I’ve given him before

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a pitman puller, and the box was installed a couple months ago, so hopefully “easier” to remove
Did you loosen the nut on the pitman arm at the steering box because the lock washer is not compressed? It doesn't look like the nut is tight..

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
I just brought home a 2014 JKU last week with this exact same issue. Has a great setup underneath. So I’m hoping it just needs an alignment. I feel like I’m driving my old YJ again. Which I’m no longer used to after the 2 TJs, XJ, and 2 JKUs. I’m 2 handing the steering wheel every time I’m on the highway, and starting to feel that way on normal roads. They put brand new 35s on it prior to me picking it up, so I’m hoping it’s just the alignment.

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
I just brought home a 2014 JKU last week with this exact same issue. Has a great setup underneath. So I’m hoping it just needs an alignment. I feel like I’m driving my old YJ again. Which I’m no longer used to after the 2 TJs, XJ, and 2 JKUs. I’m 2 handing the steering wheel every time I’m on the highway, and starting to feel that way on normal roads. They put brand new 35s on it prior to me picking it up, so I’m hoping it’s just the alignment.
How much lift does it have and what lift?
What does it have for caster correction?
Does it have adjustable parts so it can be set up with enough caster?

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
What’s your tire pressure at. Should be 25-28psi.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
How much lift does it have and what lift?
What does it have for caster correction?
Does it have adjustable parts so it can be set up with enough caster?
It’s hard to say which lift. It’s about a 4”+ lift. Fox 2.0 Performance Series shocks with reservoirs. I believe the track bar is Synergy, only because I’ve used their products before. It has a beefy track bar relocation bracket that the Fox ATS steering stab is mounted to. I think the tie rod and drag link are stock, although I can’t tell. One still has a Mopar tag on it. Looks like the dealer replaced it. The reason I can’t ID the springs, control arms, drive shafts, sway bar links, and a host of other parts is because they were all powder coated to match the Jeep. I’m taking it to a shop tomorrow to do a proper alignment since I have to drive to Houston and back Friday. It’ll be about 9-10 hours for me. Im going to check the tire pressure tomorrow to see where the dealer put it since they put brand new tires on.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Did you loosen the nut on the pitman arm at the steering box because the lock washer is not compressed? It doesn't look like the nut is tight..
I didn’t touch it. I had a shop change the box, but I’ll check it out.

I came across this on the web page of a local shop, so this is my plan.

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
It’s hard to say which lift. It’s about a 4”+ lift. Fox 2.0 Performance Series shocks with reservoirs. I believe the track bar is Synergy, only because I’ve used their products before. It has a beefy track bar relocation bracket that the Fox ATS steering stab is mounted to. I think the tie rod and drag link are stock, although I can’t tell. One still has a Mopar tag on it. Looks like the dealer replaced it. The reason I can’t ID the springs, control arms, drive shafts, sway bar links, and a host of other parts is because they were all powder coated to match the Jeep. I’m taking it to a shop tomorrow to do a proper alignment since I have to drive to Houston and back Friday. It’ll be about 9-10 hours for me. Im going to check the tire pressure tomorrow to see where the dealer put it since they put brand new tires on.
I would measure the amount of lift you have
And you may want to post pics to help identify what you have. What do you have for caster correction? And do you know how much caster you have? ALso, how much toe?
If you have a raised track bar bracket up front you have to have either a flipped drag link or a drop pitman arm. A drop pitman arm is not a good option, and if you have one I would replace it with a stock pitman arm AND install a flipped drag link. The track bar and drag link MUST be parallel, if one is changed the other needs to be equally changed. They need to work together.

Shops almost always over inflate tires, especially when the tires are larger than stock.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
I would measure the amount of lift you have
And you may want to post pics to help identify what you have. What do you have for caster correction? And do you know how much caster you have? ALso, how much toe?
If you have a raised track bar bracket up front you have to have either a flipped drag link or a drop pitman arm. A drop pitman arm is not a good option, and if you have one I would replace it with a stock pitman arm AND install a flipped drag link. The track bar and drag link MUST be parallel, if one is changed the other needs to be equally changed. They need to work together.

Shops almost always over inflate tires, especially when the tires are larger than stock.
when I measured my lift when I got it, I believe the front was about 3.5”, rear was closer to 5”.
Got an alignment done at a local chain yesterday. Couldn’t get it into any 4x4 shops because they’re all booked. I knew they’d have trouble, and they did.

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
when I measured my lift when I got it, I believe the front was about 3.5”, rear was closer to 5”.
Got an alignment done at a local chain yesterday. Couldn’t get it into any 4x4 shops because they’re all booked. I knew they’d have trouble, and they did. View attachment 4514472 View attachment 4514473 View attachment 4514474 View attachment 4514475 View attachment 4514476
Right off the bat, your track bar and drag link need to be parallel and looking at those pictures it doesn’t look like they are. Maybe it is just the pictures, but they seem closer on the drivers side than the passenger side. Also, you seem to have way less than the ideal 5 degrees of caster, give or take half an inch. What do you have for caster correction, because it looks like you need more. I would suggest geometry brackets.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
He has the draglink flip and trackbar bracket. If think it’s the angle of the photo and the weird bend in that track bar.
Caster is definitely way too low. I would suggest Rancho Geometry correction brackets as well.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
I appreciate the help. I’m going to schedule an appointment at one of the area offroad shops. I have built my Jeeps since the 90s. Had to sell them to buy a truck for a cross-country move. Been a few years and I’m finally back in a Jeep. Due to back and hip injuries, I have to limit the amount of work I do. I thought it best to buy a Jeep that was already mostly done that I could build on. Which I always told others was a bad idea. Just ignored my own advice this time. Now I’m going to be troubleshooting and correcting someone else’s errors.
Again, much appreciated.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts