Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it's time to get this started.

I've had the 14JKRU Copperhead Pearl for a year this week. I've had lots of fun on trails all over New Mexico and Colorado but decided it was time for a makeover.

In figuring out what to do, I'm trying to be honest with myself knowing that I'll spend more time on the highways than offroad which points me to an AEV lift and AT tires. Not trying to build a rig for extreme trails. So, here I go.

Ordered a set of 35"x12.5"x17" BFG KO2s today to take advantage of a manufacturer rebate.

Soon to follow (unless I change my mind again)....
  • AEV 3.5" DualSport SC
  • Teraflex Exhaust Spacer Kit
  • BFG KO2s, 35x12.5x17
  • TeraFlex Front HD Knuckle Gusset & Tube Sleeve Kit
  • Ball Joints
  • Alignment Cams
  • Desert Rattler Moab STR Black/Machined, 17x9, 4.5 backspacing
  • Teraflex HD Hinged Carrier with Adjustable Tire Mount
  • Teraflex 3rd Brake Light Extension Kit
  • Barricade Rock Sliders
  • Barricade Trail Force HD Front Bumper (or HD Full Width)
  • Barricade Front Skid
  • Barricade 9500lb Winch with Synthetic
  • Body Armor Rear Bumper (JK2961)
Here are a couple of before pics from trips to Moab & Colorado.

·
Super Moderator
14,863 Posts
Hey, looks like it will be a load of fun to build.

Question for you, what are you looking at when you say "alignment cams?" The AEV 3.5 comes with control arm drop brackets for caster correction.

I do like to recommend front sway bar links instead of their brackets, it's an inexpensive better solution.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, looks like it will be a load of fun to build.

Question for you, what are you looking at when you say "alignment cams?" The AEV 3.5 comes with control arm drop brackets for caster correction.

I do like to recommend front sway bar links instead of their brackets, it's an inexpensive better solution.

Ahh, good question...something the guy at the shop suggested might be worth considering later to help correct if I feel the Jeep is pulling one direction after the lift. I was assuming he was talking about something like this (JK Alignment Caster Cam).

My thought was why not go ahead and throw them on with the lift kit. I'm open for suggestions/comments. That's why I'm here. Worth it?

The UPS guy is gonna love me next week. Lots of packages on the way.

·
Super Moderator
14,863 Posts
Ahh, good question...something the guy at the shop suggested might be worth considering later to help correct if I feel the Jeep is pulling one direction after the lift. I was assuming he was talking about something like this (JK Alignment Caster Cam).

My thought was why not go ahead and throw them on with the lift kit. I'm open for suggestions/comments. That's why I'm here. Worth it?

The UPS guy is gonna love me next week. Lots of packages on the way.
No, those are a bad addition to a really good lift. You want to correct caster with either brackets like the AEV kit comes with or adjustable control arms. The cam bolts require you to punch out a large hole in your front axle that can only be repaired by welding later on. They also are notorious for falling out of adjustment over time.

Build it with the AEV drop brackets and drive it... If there is an issue of some sort, come back and we'll help you get it right.

Also, consider something like these for your front sway bar links:

Zone Offroad JK Front Sway Bar Links 3" to 4" Lift - J5400

Synergy MFG JK Front Sway Bar Links - 8059

Cheers! :beerdrinking:

·
Super Moderator
14,863 Posts
Good luck!

Are you building it all at once or over time?

When I thought I might do 16's the Desert Rat Moab's were one of my choices. I just picked up some spring retainers from them yesterday...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After seeing your picture in the "Beginners guide" thread with the lift and stock tires, I decided should get it done all at once. :) Just kidding.

I'm collecting the parts and plan to take care of the bumpers/sliders/tire carrier myself but while it'll be in the shop for the lift, I'll get the have them do the wheels, gussets, sleeves, and ball joints...and now maybe a sway bar link. Like you, the wheels are on backorder. They actually found 4 in stock but rather than driving around without a spare, I may just wait until they're all here.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
+1 on NOT getting cam bolts.

You may also want to look into a front driveshaft with that lift. My Tom Woods shaft was $400-ish. Well worth it for the piece of mind.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rear Bumper

Lots of boxes arriving this week. First up, the Body Armor 4x4 Rear Base Bumper. This is not the one that can accept the tire carrier. Didn't go with that option since I purchased the Teraflex Hinged Carrier to install later.

The bumper was packaged very well and installed easily. Went with this particular product after searching for a bumper that will allow me to retain the factory hitch. Not sure what the two holes in the center of the bumper are for?

The UPS truck should be here any minute with the front bumper and rock rails.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Let us know how the Teraflex Hinged Carrier works out. I'm considering it for my own Copperhead Rubi.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cdeslandes, I started to mount the Teraflex hinge this afternoon but decided to wait until the lift is installed since I won't be mounting the Teraflex adjustable tire carrier until then. I will probably be waiting until we're back from a long road trip in Aug/Sept for the lift so it may be awhile.

On another note, the Barricade Sliders and Front Bumper showed up at 6PM and I immediately went to work on installing the sliders. Getting the body mount bolts off by hand was a bit of a chore. Half of the bolts were spinning, but with help from the WF archives I was finally able to get them out with a pair of vice grips and a bit of pressure. After a run to the store for a 1/2" socket extender, the driver's side bolted up quickly and looked great.

Next, I turned my attention to the passenger's side. It was only then that I learned that the box contained TWO driver's side sliders. Ugh! :facepalm:

Difficult to tell here but you can see that if the rail on top were turned around, the bolt patterns would match the one on the bottom. I do not want to have to take this off or put the bolts back in on the passenger's side and have to take them back off again. But after what I've read on here, I have faith Extreme Terrain and XTRyan to help me out quickly.
@XTRyan, help please!

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
cdeslandes, I started to mount the Teraflex hinge this afternoon but decided to wait until the lift is installed since I won't be mounting the Teraflex adjustable tire carrier until then. I will probably be waiting until we're back from a long road trip in Aug/Sept for the lift so it may be awhile.

On another note, the Barricade Sliders and Front Bumper showed up at 6PM and I immediately went to work on installing the sliders. Getting the body mount bolts off by hand was a bit of a chore. Half of the bolts were spinning, but with help from the WF archives I was finally able to get them out with a pair of vice grips and a bit of pressure. After a run to the store for a 1/2" socket extender, the driver's side bolted up quickly and looked great.

Next, I turned my attention to the passenger's side. It was only then that I learned that the box contained TWO driver's side sliders. Ugh! :facepalm:

Difficult to tell here but you can see that if the rail on top were turned around, the bolt patterns would match the one on the bottom. I do not want to have to take this off or put the bolts back in on the passenger's side and have to take them back off again. But after what I've read on here, I have faith Extreme Terrain and XTRyan to help me out quickly.

@XTRyan, help please!

Sorry about that! I'm sending you a new set of sliders today, as well as a return shipping label. Use what you need and just ship back the sliders you don't need!

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything else I can do for you.

-Ryan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry about that! I'm sending you a new set of sliders today, as well as a return shipping label. Use what you need and just ship back the sliders you don't need!

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything else I can do for you.

-Ryan
Awesome! Thanks for taking care of this.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey what sliders are these and how much are they? They look great

Next, I turned my attention to the passenger's side. It was only then that I learned that the box contained TWO driver's side sliders. Ugh!

@XTRyan, help please!

-Ryan

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Barricade Trail Force HD Front Bumper & Skid

This turned out to be a much more difficult install than expected. Would have helped to have had the proper tools. After learning my lesson with the rock sliders, I made sure to take inventory of the boxes before getting started. As others have pointed out, the bumper had broken through the boxed and was dinged on the corner, but nothing that can't be touched up.

It was a bit of a struggle without the proper tools but I was finally able to get the stock bumper off ratcheting one-click-at-a-time.

Didn't get any pictures during the install but it looked like installing either the skid plate or the bumper on its own would be been quick and easy. But doing both was not easy but was finally finished after a trip to the hardware store for an long socket extension with a joint. I didn't have to cut the fog lamp wires. Just unwrapping a bit from the loom provided the extension necessary to reach the location in the new bumper. The skid plate is pretty solid. Heavier than I was expecting. Looks nice in line with the bumper. I had some help with the install and was glad for the suggestion to mount the winch before setting the bumper. We had just enough on the "hot" cable to reach the battery, could have used a couple of more inches but it reached.

Waiting on the replacement slider before resetting the body mount bolts and taking it out for a drive and seeing if there are any squeaks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts