Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you SoCal folks, if you're installing a metalcloak front track bar and need a 14 mm bit, they can be a bear to find. I called over 10 places and finally found one at Marshall tool and supply in Chatsworth. Just FYI.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Just curious about the MC track bar. I have and RE track bar now and it hits my front housing. How does the clearance look on the MC?

·
Registered
25 Posts
image-1963868828.jpg

Clears my diff pretty well. Went off roading the other week and didn't seem to have any contact. Didn't get under and take any pics though

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
If all else fails you can use a 9/16" drill bit. I couldn't find/was too lazy to look for a 14 mm bit, so I just drilled with a 9/16" bit, torqued it to the proper spec and called it a day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
a 35/64" bit will come out to 13.89 MM (IIRC) and I recommend it. The 9/16" drill bit is slightly larger at 14.28mm. I wanted the tightest fit I could get to reduce any possibility of slack. Needless to say, the bolt is nice and tight. I don't know how some of you found a metric drill bit-I only found them on eBay from Europe!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
a 35/64" bit will come out to 13.89 MM (IIRC) and I recommend it. The 9/16" drill bit is slightly larger at 14.28mm. I wanted the tightest fit I could get to reduce any possibility of slack. Needless to say, the bolt is nice and tight. I don't know how some of you found a metric drill bit-I only found them on eBay from Europe!
The "tightness" of the fit couldn't matter less... 9/16" is perfectly acceptable and what I drilled mine to.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had to order the 14mm that would fit a 1/2" drill online. Go with the 35/64" if you can find it locally. It takes all of 2 seconds to drill out that hole. I love MC, but they should make it a 9/16" or a 1/2" bolt.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I took mine a step farther, I cut the nut off of the flag nut assy and tacked on a 9/16 stover nut. The 9/16 bolt fits a little tighter in the bushing. Ya, I know it doesn't matter as it's the clamping force that holds it tight but I figured it can't hurt either

·
Registered
124 Posts
The "tightness" of the fit couldn't matter less... 9/16" is perfectly acceptable and what I drilled mine to.
That's fine I want the least possibility of lateral movement I can get.
Maybe you're right but I'm picky about any components that can contribute to DW haha. If MC tells me 14mm I'll be damned if I don't get as close as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts