Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
My bet would be its because of the size of your brakes. The 15" wheels won't give you enough clearance inside to clear the rotors and calipers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Long story short, some 15" wheels are not big enough to allow for proper brake caliper fit. Discount Tire has quite a few alloy wheels in the 15" size that fit your jeep--I'm running 15" MB-72 wheels on mine. Two things to be aware of, first, steel wheels (15") probably will not fit your Jeep due to their manufacturing process. Second, even 15" alloy wheels will be a close fit. You cannot double stack the adhesive wheel weights as they will rub the calipers--first hand knowledge of this.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Aluminum should fit steel will probably require you grind the front calipers. I run cragar soft 8s, 15x8. Ground the front calipers. Its pretty easy.

Dunno about other places but summit racing allows returns on wheels until you mount tires on em.

I had discount tire mount mine with regular lead weights on both sides. This is definitely a function over form place for me.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
I have 15x8 Level 8 Trackers on my JKU. I got them from Discount Tire.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have 15 inch alloys from DT. They fit, but I kind of wish I went with 16s. The clearance between the calipers and wheels is too close for my comfort. Playing in the mud, I must have gotten some rocks or something caught in between my calipers and wheels and it tore some weights off and scraped up the inside of the wheel pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have 15 inch alloys from DT. They fit, but I kind of wish I went with 16s. The clearance between the calipers and wheels is too close for my comfort. Playing in the mud, I must have gotten some rocks or something caught in between my calipers and wheels and it tore some weights off and scraped up the inside of the wheel pretty bad.
The two edges of the caliper have about 1 bazillionth of an inch of clearance with 15s depenxing on how much cajones you had to grind the calipers. You have about the same clearance between the brake pads and rotors. Rocks would suck there too. With 16s you would have about an inch of clearance. Youre still gonna get a rock in there eventually.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm looking at Discount tires...do you know the exact size?

15x8 level 8 trackers here.
I'm trying to get them to provide me a quote on the whole package. I want the wheels and nitto tires and I need to make sure I'm getting the right thing quoted.

I appreciate the help.

See below for where I am on discount tire webpage...

Find Level 8 Tracker custom wheels by size

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
15x8 5-127 bolt pattern. Thats metric for 5x5.

Honestly isnt there a discount tire near you?

·
Registered
712 Posts
How come the tire stores are telling me I can't run 15s on my 2007 Jku?
Because they don't know what they are talking about. I have run 2 sets of Pro Comp 52 steel wheels on 2 different JKs. 15x10 on my 08 and 15x8 on my 11. Both fit fine with no rubbing on the caliper or anywhere.

Part of the problem is that if they can't find it in their computer they find it easier to just say its not available instead of actually do some legwork and find out what fits. Kinda like the guy that tried to tell me I had a Dana 35 front axle. Too many people that think they know something but really don't.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The two edges of the caliper have about 1 bazillionth of an inch of clearance with 15s depenxing on how much cajones you had to grind the calipers. You have about the same clearance between the brake pads and rotors. Rocks would suck there too. With 16s you would have about an inch of clearance. Youre still gonna get a rock in there eventually.
I'm have not removed any material from my calipers and I have something like a quarter of an inch of clearance. Too close for my comfort but oh well.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I'm have not removed any material from my calipers and I have something like a quarter of an inch of clearance. Too close for my comfort but oh well.
Oh i had to grind mine in 3 places and its so tight a rock coukdnt even fit haha

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have 15x8 MB 72's on mine. Very little clearance but no issues so far.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts