Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
Love the site, loads of info that's helped in the past, first time I've had to post. Thanks Everyone! After much reading all day, I'm not convinced on exactly what's going on here. A little backstory:
Wife's '15 JKU Sport, (36,290) stock minus headlight upgrade/light bar, no lift, never been off-road, started catching on the brakes and having a hard time going forward (she called me, screaming transmission is not right). This was in a drive thru this a.m. I came to take a look, nothing out of the ordinary mechanically, except the ABS light and ESC light (car with the squiggly) and intermittant hill discent lamp flash, along with a brake grab/scrub on the front drivers side just after take-off, no grab after gaining speed. Drives fine after that besides the lights, no shift to either side, steering is tight. I done the ignition switch toogle check, no code, Took it to Auto Zone, no codes came back, then took it to O'Reillys, they couldn't even get it to connect, even after manually entering the info, which the guy I deal with there is a jeep nut with a '16 jku. So I came home tore the front tires off, disconnected the battery to hopeful reset, and didn't see anything out of the ordinary besides minor flaking of outer shell on sensor cable (Florida heat? Lol).
Just looking for some guidance here as we're just over the 36k mark and skeptical on pulling the J6 fuse for my wife's sake (never drove a non-abs vehicle) along with my 2 y/o. Temptation is close to taking it to the dealer, as they've always done us right and don't want to replace speed sensors if not needed. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you have access to a scan tool you will be able to view individual wheel speed sensor data. Depending on the scan tool it will be in either rpm or km/mph. If there is no fault code present you can compare data side to side (while driving straight) or front to back.
The ABS/Trac/hill lights also come on (and abs engages) if there is a problem with the steering angle sensor. I think getting some data from a scan tool first will help avoid guessing at the fault and replacing unnecessary parts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My JKU is a lot older ('07) but its been doing the same thing lights and all. Turned out to be the left wheel speed sensor. I got a letter from FCA saying that they just extended the warranty on it to lifetime. Getting it fixed tomorrow. Not sure if the newer ones have the same bad sensors as mine but it's worth looking into. Mine just kept getting worse with the break grab and sometimes acts like its in limp mode until I push the esp button and give it more gas, then it seems just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wheel Speed Sensor

I have a 2015 Wrangler Willys Wheeler. This morning I just replaced the left rear sensor. In February I had the dealer replace the right rear sensor for about $280.00 because I had no idea what was going on. Back out of the driveway put in drive and breaks grab a couple of times then all of the abs lights light up. You can rent a code reader from Autozone. It will tell you which one is acting up. $20 part.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Check that the steering wheel is straight, could be as simple as adjusting the drag link if the steering wheel isn't perfectly straight when the tires are pointed straight. This will set off the ESP as well as the sensors mentioned. I have had to straighten mine a couple of times after rough trails or pot hole etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts