Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3.73 gears. This is my first Jeep so I don't know if this is normal. Whenever traveling up a hill my JKU will rev pretty high and exceed 4K RPM before it changes to the next gear. Is this normal? Opinions are much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had the same question when I got my 2015 JKU with 3.73 gearing.

FWIW, this was only my second auto in 35 years of driving so I was a bit concerned too.

I live high in the Rocky Mountains with roads that see large altitude gains in short distances. I often see high rpm's in the 4k range...depending on the climb.

I was told these transmissions want to stay in the power band and on steep hills high rpm is required if any additional acceleration is needed.

I would say it's probably normal, and you could always upshift using the auto-stick.

Here's my thread:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/auto-trans-stays-in-low-gear-high-rpm-on-steep-climbs-1303345.html

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
" rev pretty high and exceed 4K RPM before it changes to the next gear."

is this higher RPM point than when it shifts on level ground at similar road speed?

·
Registered
223 Posts
My '14 does it. And every other case I've seen that does this, the vehicle had 3:73 gears.

Wait until you go with larger tires. It has became habit to slap the shifter over to the next gear.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The 3.6L loves revving, unlike previous motors this one is meant to be in the upper RPM's and really shines there.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
It's fine. The transmission knows the engine is working hard so it raises the shift point. It'll run all day at 4000 rpm without missing a beat.

·
Super Moderator
21,961 Posts
My 13 with 3.21's would go up to 5000rpm when I put 33's on it. I live where you are either going up or going down and my 14 with 4.10's and 35's does not down shift 2 or 3 gears at every hill.

If you have bigger tires and do not have the speedo recalibrated via procal or similar device you should as it will help.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
"Yes, I believe so. "

based on your report, I don't believe there is an issue. Today I'll be on a short road trip & will observe closely my own 3.73 JK & get back to this thread.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
When I'm driving up into the mountains, I'll shift my manual transmission down so I run between 3-4,000 RPM because that's what it takes to maintain speed on a steep hill.

The engine is fine doing that all the way up the mountain.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
When I am driving on rolling hills, many times (most times?) my auto will downshift into 4th when climbing. Of course, with that, the RPM's increase and my mpg goes down.

The transmission "learns" your expectations and style of driving. If it miss learned, I believe you can reset it by doing:

1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
6) Start the engine.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Mojer: per high shift RPM point:

I tried 15 JK 3.73 under a variety of circumstances yesterday.

Don't know if mine is at all like what you describe.

I suspect we drive a lot differently. I'm a geezer & don't often seek brisk higher speeds. I was pleased to see how easily my Willys would accommodate my 'thin pedal instruction' though.

The only time I could approximate 4000 rpm shift points was with my throttle pushed at least 75% down, as in accelerating vigorously, on either flat or various paved hills. I could rather force the engine into rapid acceleration into the 65-70+ range

Have a friend go with you for a short spin to show what it does. If it's really an issue, take it to the dealer for attention.

The 3.6 engine in my new rig is considerably peppier than the 3.8 was in my 08JK. Nearly 300 horses vs barely 200 makes quite a difference.

Good luck, let us know what you find. I suspect if you hold back on the throttle position a bit you will find different shift pattern emerges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts