Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
This mod has been on my radar for a while and plan on doing it when I add a rear bumper/tire carrier, maybe in the spring. I have this link to add to the discussion.

YJ Gas Tank 15-to-20 Gallon Conversion

I'll throw in an update on my results.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I did mine when the tank was out to replace fuel pump. I replaced the sending unit with a 20 gallon so my gauge is fairly accurate. I still don't go below 1/4 tank, just in case.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did mine when the tank was out to replace fuel pump. I replaced the sending unit with a 20 gallon so my gauge is fairly accurate. I still don't go below 1/4 tank, just in case.
Im still running the factory 15 gallon sending unit. It now takes a while to come off the full mark. So far it seems to have the same accuracy as it did before. I just filled her up a few minutes ago because the needed was just below 1/4 tank. I squeezed 17 gallons in it ... close enough for me. With the extra capacity it hurts the pocket a bit more to fill up. But... I do go a lot farther between fill ups.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did this conversion to my '95 a year ago and should have done it 10 years ago when I got the Jeep. :happyyes: I just left the 15 gal sending unit in there and watch the gauge, like I should do all the time, and wait until it's about 1/4 tank and fill back up. I couldn't see the need to spend $$ on a new sending unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Might have to try this with my 06 TJ. I did hear the tank is smaller but haven't verified that yet. Can't hurt to try since my Jeep never shuts off the gas pump anyway.. wont hurt it anymore if I break it hahaha.

EDIT: looks like I don't need too.. hmm Gas light comes on with 4-5 gallons left. guess I just don't run it dry enough.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The sender in my '87 never worked right. I always reset the odometer and filled every 200 miles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My '93 fuel gauge sits at Full for about 100 miles and then it drops like a rock and by 150 it shows 1/4. I'm curious if the PO did this mod but haven't had a chance to test it to see how far it can go before truly being on E. One of these days I will carry a fuel can with a few gallons in it and run it as far as I can. Any issues with running it until she stops dead?
I had a 92' that was reading all kinds of crazy levels left...so I had to run it dry with a gas can in the back. Found out fuel sending unit was bad and it said a little less than half tank in it when in fact it was empty.
I poured the 3 gallons from the gas can. And it started right right up. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis.
I plan to do this on my current '94

·
Registered
194 Posts
Finally did the mid and it was so easy. I was actually doing something else on my jeep regarding the 4x4 issue that I had. Then the tools were already out and thought what the hell I'm out here and remembered this exact thread and how I saw a vid link from one member on the forum. It took me like 20 mins.
I didn't take the gas cap filler off. The only I did was remove the vent tank tube. Tools were needle nose pliers flathead screwdriver n of course some WD40 just to loosen up that clamp.
I didn't filler up yet but can't wait to see if I do get 20 gals.
I'm Very glad I glanced over this this thread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, about to claw out my eyes. Seems most of the front bolts are stipped at the head on top of the tank. FML! Any suggestions on how to get them out? No body or anything so it is tight up there.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Why hasn't this thread been stickied yet? Shouldn't it be?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, it should be a stickie.

I did this to my 91 a couple weeks ago. On my first fill-up, I got 17.5 gallons in. That was right after I did the mod, so there must've been about 2.5 gallons still in the tank before hand. I had 308 miles on the second tank and put in 20.01 gallons with the gauge telling me I was at 1/8th of a tank. So I'm guessing that either the gauge is way off and I was running on fumes, or the tank holds more than 20 gallons now.

Thanks to the original poster for posting this mod. I really hated filling up so often.

Bill

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have an 89 with a 20 gallon fiber glass, square hole for the sending unit (just replaced it). Are all 20 gallon tanks fiber glass, is that a way to tell prior to 91?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your write up... I found out the hard way however that jeep didn't start with the 15/20 tank until 1991. My YJ is a 90' and it's 15 gallon tank is a true 15 gallon. I found this out when I ordered a replacement tank for it and it wasn't even close to fitting. A new skids plate, vent hose, filler hose, and straps were called for. But it was worth it. I got rid of my steel tank and I upgraded myself by 5 gallons.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I did this to my '95 YJ today, but it only took me about 1/2 hour. I was able to get to the vent tube from underneath. It took a little persuasion, but I was able to get the tube out. What a joy it is to fill up my tank in 5 minutes instead of 20 minutes. :iamhappy:

·
Registered
492 Posts
i did this mod years ago and when i did i took the filler tube out completely and left it out.... it has been working fine since... getting 20 gallons instead of 15...

the other week i had my pass rear section of frame cut and replaced so the mechanic had to drop the tank for obvious safety reasons... long story short he noticed that my fuel sending unit was rusted to hell and definitely needed to be replaced, and it did. so i told him to change it. replaced it with a 15 gallon sending unit which is fine because that doesn't affect this mod.

NOW my issue is that when i go fill up it is acting like a 15 gallon tank not a 20 gallon tank. i also tried pumping it past the fill limit and gas did come up the filler neck so i assume it really is full. But i am not getting those extra gallons i was getting prior to the replacement of the fuel sending unit. my gauge it moving past the F line way too fast.

just want to know if anyone has any ideas because i am scratching my head at this point.

thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quite likely the sender unit is shorter than the original.
Mine had been changed some time before I the jeep, I could only put 11 gallons from walk to full. Ran it out of gas, dropped the tank and still had +/- 4 gallons in it. On mine I just extended the pickup tube. Now when I'm out I can put in almost a full 15 gallons (steel tank)

·
Registered
492 Posts
ill have to check that out but arent the fuel sending units all the same size for 91-95 YJ's? besides the floater

does anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
476 Posts
So I can get almost 20 gal in my ‘89, aftermarket?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts