Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 16" wheels on my LJ. I'm starting to shop for tires and I'm noticing that 15" tires are a lot cheaper. What's the difference in performance? I'm looking at 33" tires if that helps any. Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Smaller rims with larger tires look odd. IMO. The ratio of sidewall to rim can start looking like a cartoon if pushed too far. Have you done any other mods? Are you or have you done a lift? Just my opinion.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
16's are an oddball size and are going to cost more and have alot fewer selections than 15's or 17's
X2 on all that.

Smaller rims with larger tires look odd. IMO. The ratio of sidewall to rim can start looking like a cartoon if pushed too far. Have you done any other mods? Are you or have you done a lift? Just my opinion.
You sayin' my 15" wheels with big tires make my TJ look caroonish? :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
Mine came stock with 16" rims, so I stayed 16". No real reason, but I wanted aluminum rims and discount tires had a very good deal being offered on that size! As far as being an " odd ball" size ?????, I plan to keep these for as long as I have it!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Smaller rims for off road are always better. You have more sidewall which when aired down give you a bigger footprint, you have more sidewall to grab the side of rocks when climbing rather than scrapping up your rim lip. Large rims are "cool" on the street machines, not so much for those who actually go off road.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should have put tthis in my original post...
4 1\2 BDS lift,16" MT wheels on 285/75 Nittos

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The biggest factor for me was all the 16" tires were E load, which IMO was crappy in comparison to the C load sidewall available in the 15" tires.

I pulled the 265-75-16 MTRK's and 16x8 procomp garbage off and put on 31x10.5x15 KM2's on some 15" Method wheels. The weight difference alone was noticeable. I plan to go with 33x10.5x15 on my next set after I get the gearing and axles properly prepared to handle 33's.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The only downside for a Jeep that is actually used off road for a 15 inch rim is that some of the big brake kits will not fit. But, mine was successfully upgraded and stops like it has retro rockets. Go 15. Leave the gangsta wheels to the boys in the hood. Get a load range C tire. If I had a huge truck I could see going 17 inch, but not on a TJ. The more rubber between your rim and the rocks, the better. There is a reason that 15 inch has the largest selection of tires. I think 17 is going to be the new 15 for the larger trucks and off roaders but if they could come off the LR E it would be nice. But I suppose the 6,000 pound rigs need that, a TJ weighs what, 3,500 pounds, maybe 4,000 fully equipped?

J

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Mine came stock with 16" rims, so I stayed 16". No real reason, but I wanted aluminum rims and discount tires had a very good deal being offered on that size! As far as being an " odd ball" size ?????, I plan to keep these for as long as I have it!
The only TJ that came stock with 16's was the Rubicon. Your 03 X came with from the factory. Maybe when you got it from the PO it had 16's

·
Registered
831 Posts
You are correct!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts