Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

Finally decided to make an account. Wanted to get everyones input.

Love my 15 Wrangler Sport. Had to get the manual transmission, just makes it that much more fun.

Anyways I am coming up to my first oil change. I live in Chicago, it stays outside every night (trying to find a garage but not worth the cost where I live). I don't tow now, but soon am hoping to buy a small sail boat and would love to tow it around with the jeep.

Would you guys use the basic oil, or up it to a synthetic? I plan on taking it to the dealer, but I would rather get real owners opinions rather than their marketing speal.

Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator
100,621 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

I moved you to the Jk General Forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Plus 5W20.
So I take it you change it yourself? That brings up a few questions.

1) Is there a sensor that has to be reset? I'm coming up on 75% oil usage so I haven't gotten anything yet but I figured something was coming.

2) Is the Ultra Platinum Plus a synthetic? Why do you use it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Plus is a Synthetic. I change the oil and rotate the tires every 5,000 miles. The EVIC needs to be reset when you change the oil. Turn ignition on, do not start the engine, press and release the gas pedal full down three times, turn off ignition.

·
Registered
106 Posts
PYB 5-20 at 5k. Awesome conventional oil. If left outside and driven on salty roads, coat underside with Fluid Film. Wax every six months. Paint bare metal. Use POR-15 where already rusted. Brush after meals. Take a daily vitamin.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Synthetic all the way, Even with a new engine your engine will be quieter, Also with the cold climate temperatures of Chicago it will offer better protection on cold start ups.

I went with Valvoline full synthetic (extremely cheap at walmart)

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Why does everyone do a tire rotation every 5k ?
With a JK, you'll get the best wear if it's done every 5K. Most tie it to an oil change which makes it easier to combine the service. I recommend that the stock mud terrain tires be rotated even earlier at 4K.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So I take it you change it yourself? That brings up a few questions.

1) Is there a sensor that has to be reset? I'm coming up on 75% oil usage so I haven't gotten anything yet but I figured something was coming.

2) Is the Ultra Platinum Plus a synthetic? Why do you use it?
Scroll through the menu (left side of steering wheel) and it will show oil life. I can't remember exactly, but I think to reset, turn key "on" don't start... pump gas 3 times... Check the manual...

Oop's.. didn't see someone already answered.. can't figure out how to delete a post! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts