Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been calling around and found a place to install my adjustable track bar (rubicon express 1600) and reinstall my factory Pittman arm then complete an alignment all for $150 , does this found like a reasonable price?

I normally like to do my own minor work however I do not have the capability to pull off the Pittman arm and when messing with steering components I would rather a professional do the work

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
Seems okay, I know my pitman arm on the YJ was a pain just to get off... so if you think its a fair price go for it.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Do it yourself. There's nothing tricky or special about it. Far too easy to pay someone that much money when you could do it just as well. Pitman arm pullers are free to rent FYI.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Imped said:
Do it yourself. There's nothing tricky or special about it. Far too easy to pay someone that much money when you could do it just as well. Pitman arm pullers are free to rent FYI.
Yup.

Oreileys and Auto Zone both rent out pitman arm pullers for free. I've only used the one from Orieleys, and it worked well.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Doesn't sound like a bad price, but if you have basic hand tools and a free afternoon you can do that install fairly easily. I can think of many places to use an extra $150.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
With all of the info available on the Jeep forums , you want to pay some one to do a job as simple as that . Boy are you going to have a big investment just paying for the basics mods .

·
Whiskey for my men...
4,100 Posts
Don't let the " I gotta do everything myself " crowd get to you. My rule of thumb is if I feel comfortable doing something I do it. If I don't I find someone to do it for me.

One way or the other you will need the alignment done. That's 50, maybe 75 bucks. Now from there is it worth 75 to 100 bucks to replace the track bar (pita), the pittman arm (BIG pita) and then do a rough alignment to be able to get it in to be aligned? Me, I'd do it myself, although I have a bit more than "basic hand tools". And I'd still get it aligned.

On the other hand I won't touch anything to do with the fuel system, probably because I was in a gas explosion once, vaporized the front end off the Corvette I was working on and melted all the leaded bodywork on the 42 Ford pickup sitting next to it. Basically, some thing are just not worth doing yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Don't let the " I gotta do everything myself " crowd get to you. My rule of thumb is if I feel comfortable doing something I do it. If I don't I find someone to do it for me.

One way or the other you will need the alignment done. That's 50, maybe 75 bucks. Now from there is it worth 75 to 100 bucks to replace the track bar (pita), the pittman arm (BIG pita) and then do a rough alignment to be able to get it in to be aligned? Me, I'd do it myself, although I have a bit more than "basic hand tools". And I'd still get it aligned.

On the other hand I won't touch anything to do with the fuel system, probably because I was in a gas explosion once, vaporized the front end off the Corvette I was working on and melted all the leaded bodywork on the 42 Ford pickup sitting next to it. Basically, some thing are just not worth doing yourself.
I've seen more than one post about folks trying to get pitman arms off and spending hours upon hours trying to find a way to find a puller that either works or won't break.

That isn't a bad price if you don't run into issues, not a great price either. Have the trackbar bolt frozen in the bolt sleeve and you're in for a fun time if you haven't done it before.

I've probably removed and installed 50 to 100 pitman arms and I personally have on the premises, 5 different pullers due to how many issues I've had in the past. Some fall off, some won't even budge after heat, beat, and big leverage on a good puller. I split those and replace them.

·
Registered
613 Posts
woah woah woah. dude installing a track bar and pitman arm is so easy. im 16 and did mine. its a pretty simple bolt on job lol

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Since you mention "reinstall your factory pitman arm"...it sounds like it's been off fairly recently. This also may mean your trackbar has been off/partially off recently (relocated for a lift?).

If so, I wouldn't hesitate to tackle this job myself since those parts shouldn't be too frozen in place...

Also as far as the alignment goes, the only thing you'll need to set unless you've got adjustable control arms and stuff (taller lift) is your toe...which you can do with a floor jack, some square tubing, pipe wrench and a tape measure in your driveway (see Jerry Bransford's posts regarding this or do a search for "Basic Front End Alignment" or something like that which will lead to a very nice write-up on how to do it yourself in no time at all). It's super easy. I did it one day at work...took about 30 minutes my first time...and I'm NOT a good mechanic. Super simple once you get the stupid tie-road broken free.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
You'll have to decide if you want to try it yourself, but you asked if that was a good price for a shop to do it, so here is my answer regarding that....

A one-time alignment around here is $75....that is most shops without any sort of coupon or discount.

That leaves $75 for the install of the parts, and I don't think that is terrible.

If you asked if we thought you should try to do it yourself, I would say yes, but if all you're interested in asking is if that is a good price for the install and alignment, I say that it is.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well worth the $150 if you value your time. I spent about 3 hours trying to get my pitman off when I did the gearbox... got it 1/2 way off and it wouldn't budge any more. Ended up taking a sawzall to it, problem solved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts