Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is 1500 to much to get upgraded gears on my 02 auto? i have 33" tires and the shop here want to charge that

·
Registered
451 Posts
That does include all parts, all labor, and how many miles of warranty on the job?

·
Registered
304 Posts
If that includes the gears, install kit and they warranty their labor that's not to bad I guess.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,131 Posts
My first regear cost me just over $1300, my last one when I knew to negotiate harder was just under $1100. All parts and labor, out the door, including sales tax on the parts. That included first-quality parts & gears from Spicer and Superior Axle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
$1500 is what I was quoted by a good local shop. I was shocked too, but I've figured out nothing ever gets cheaper. Unless you play hardball like Jerry! jk.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
up here in Montana I was quoted 1200-1500 depending on the shop after parts labor for both axles. some say they've got it as low as 400 per axle but it depends on where you live. and I wouldn't recommend negotiations too much, some shops will take your "playing hardball" and just drop it. why should they fight to do a job thats difficult time consuming and takes an experienced hand? many shops wont negotiate and some will just walk away.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,131 Posts
Most shops will always start quoting a higher price than they're actually willing to do the job for. The shop that did mine for under $1100 routinely quotes $1500. They hope you'll bite at the first quote and not try to negotiate it lower but not many buy at that first price they quote.

Kind of like buying a car, they always quote a higher price up front & come down from there.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Most shops will always start quoting a higher price than they're actually willing to do the job for. The shop that did mine for under $1100 routinely quotes $1500. They hope you'll bite at the first quote and not try to negotiate it lower but not many buy at that first price they quote.

Kind of like buying a car, they always quote a higher price up front & come down from there.
I've never heard of this. My family was in the repair business for 56 years and the price they quoted was always the fair price, take it or leave it. Most people that left it came back a few weeks later needing the cheaper repair of mod redone.. I guess it's different with 4 wheel drive shops?? I know my dad did gears and the price he gave was always the price he would do it for, no less.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Oh, and I'm sorry I have no clue what gear replacement goes for:-( good luck though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thats what i was quoted for going from 3.07s too 4.10 because id have to get new carriars, decided to hold off on it because of wanting to upgrade axles, you can get a 8.8 axle from east coast gear with 4.10s for around a thousand last i checked, and with the amount of cherokees up for parts on my local craigslist i've seen hp 30's with just about any gear ratio you want for a couple hundred plus the cost of getting brackets welded on and the mods your not going to be too much over 1500 for stronger axles with the 4.10 gear ratio that i think is optimal for our 33's and 3 speed auto

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats what i was quoted for going from 3.07s too 4.10 because id have to get new carriars, decided to hold off on it because of wanting to upgrade axles, you can get a 8.8 axle from east coast gear with 4.10s for around a thousand last i checked, and with the amount of cherokees up for parts on my local craigslist i've seen hp 30's with just about any gear ratio you want for a couple hundred plus the cost of getting brackets welded on and the mods your not going to be too much over 1500 for stronger axles with the 4.10 gear ratio that i think is optimal for our 33's and 3 speed auto
thats a good idea :thumb:
i really dont find my ride any slower from the 33's

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
East Coast is doing my regear and an 8.8 conversion, 3065.00 to install:
8.8 with all new componets to include the brake system, drive shaft and SYE and a rebuilt limited slip
regear D 30 to 4.10 all new componets

1 - 16 of 16 Posts