Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out if I should go with 15 or 17 inch wheels. Aside from tire cost, and some 15's not fitting; is there anything else to consider between the two? I plan on running 33's regardless of wheel size on an 08 2dr.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
15's. More rubber between your wheel and ground means a smoother ride on road, and less chance of rim damage off road.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
...Trying Aside from tire cost, and some 15's not fitting; is there anything else to consider between the two? ...
Choice of tire sizes, weight of tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny you said ask ESP. His Jeep was what caused me to change my mind on the 17's I was getting ready to order.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I'd go 17 inch. More disc brake clearance, more wheel & tire choices & many 17's are cheaper than 15's. I'd get the 295/70/17's. They measure 11.5 wide & 33.3 inches tall. Still plenty of sidewall for airing down.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
You only need enough clearance to clear the calipers, anymore is moot. 15" will give you a smoother ride, greater contact patch, better fuel economy, less weight, more pick and power from less up sprung weight, cost less, and have a better stance.

There ya go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ESP- I'm sure i've read it somewhere; but what backspace are you running with your wheels?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Dont forget the looks of the two.

IMO the 15s look more like off road rims. I just like the look of lots of rubber. Plus im all for saving cash when i can and still getting want.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
ESP- I'm sure i've read it somewhere; but what backspace are you running with your wheels?
The MB72 15x8" wheels have 3.75" of backspacing and a -19mm offset.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I have to disagree with the statement that many 17" are cheaper then 15". One of the main reason I am going to 15" on my next set is because 15" tires are so much cheaper then 17" that I can even pay for the wheels and still come out the same. Example is Duratracs. At discount tires 15" 33' are $188.00 while 17" 285/70/17 32.8" tires $267.00. That's a $79 savings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am in the same situation, trying to decide what size wheel to pull the trigger on. I think the 15" MB 72's look nice and I will probably go with those. I also like the MB chaos and black rock vipers, just not sure how they will look in the 15" size since they have a lot more detail. They are making me think i should get 17". Still think I'll go with the 15" considering I can get 5 tires and wheels cheaper than 4 17"s.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I have to disagree with the statement that many 17" are cheaper then 15". One of the main reason I am going to 15" on my next set is because 15" tires are so much cheaper then 17" that I can even pay for the wheels and still come out the same. Example is Duratracs. At discount tires 15" 33' are $188.00 while 17" 285/70/17 32.8" tires $267.00. That's a $79 savings.
Per tire. :thumb:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Are those Pro Comps 7069? I really like the look of those. They seem to be flatter black than the MB's. Where did you purchase them?

yes these are ProComp 7069 flat black on Duratracs 305x70R16. 4Wheel Parts had a procomp sale, buy 4 get 1 free. These things were backordered for almost 2 months but I think they are keeping stock now.

I love the look of ESPs, but I ultimately chose the ProComps.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'd prefer to go with 15" wheels to save some money on tires, but I stayed with the 17" stock size that came on my Jeep. The main reason was because some of my lift suspension components have a caveat: "Recommended wheel is a 17" diameter with a maximum back space of 4.5"." If it weren't for the clearance issue, I'd run 15" wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input. 15's are way more cost effective and i do like the look of more rubber than wheel. Almost $400 cheaper for the tires too. Know I just need to get my lift and a few other things done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts