Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a wrangler owner for exactly one week now. I have done a lot of research on this site and really like the look of the DC 2 wheel. The problem I'm having is finding a DC2 15x8 wheel with a 5x5 bolt pattern for my JKR. Am I missing something or do they just not make that bolt pattern on the 15x8 wheel? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've gathered smaller wheels are lighter and improve gas mileage and tires are considerably cheaper than a tire with a 17 inch or above rim size.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 15x8 5x5 Cragar wheels. Look on summit racing's site. That's where I got them. Went with them because of price of tires and I like the look. Had to grind down the calipers a little but nothing awful. It'll cause problems in the future though, like upgrading your tie rod. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
From what I've gathered smaller wheels are lighter and improve gas mileage and tires are considerably cheaper than a tire with a 17 inch or above rim size.
Depends on the wheels and tires. A 17" alloy wheel only weighs approx 25lbs. 15" tires run small so they be lighted only because they are physically smaller. ie a 35" Pitbull tire for a 17" rim is already 86lbs, a 15"'tire the same physical size will weigh more.
But non the less there will be more difference between running steel or alloy wheels then there will be between 15" and 17" tires.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
On doing a little more research it appears that in some cases the 15" tire is lighter the the 17" because the 15 is only C rated while the 17 maybe E rated. So an E rated 17 on an alloy wheel is about the same a 15 C rated tire of the same brand on a steel wheel.

Conclusion: you need to check your own tire wheel size and combination to be sure. And in the big picture it's not enough difference to save you any mpg.
To be totally honest, if you want mileage stay on stock sized tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts