Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm looking to get 15x8 or 15x10 wheels and i know that 15x8 can be superior offroad but I was just wondering if they ride any different on road? because i don't know why I wouldn't just get 15x8s if they are better offroad, cost less, and supposedly ride the same on road. am i right here?

·
Registered
387 Posts
total newb when it comes to wheels here, can someone give some cliff notes about the differences with this stuff?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
total newb when it comes to wheels here, can someone give some cliff notes about the differences with this stuff?
Not sure exactly what you want to know. 8" wide rims are preferred for up to 12.5" wide tires due to the fact that they will hold a bead better when aired down for off road. They also offer slightly better rim protection off road.

Most try to stick with 15" x 8" rims for our Wranglers. This offers the best selection in tires, and at a lower cost.

Depending on tire width, you should be looking for a wheel back space of between 3.75" and 4.25" if you are running over sized tires.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not sure exactly what you want to know. 8" wide rims are preferred for up to 12.5" wide tires due to the fact that they will hold a bead better when aired down for off road. They also offer slightly better rim protection off road.

Most try to stick with 15" x 8" rims for our Wranglers. This offers the best selection in tires, and at a lower cost.

Depending on tire width, you should be looking for a wheel back space of between 3.75" and 4.25" if you are running over sized tires.

Hope that helps.
It does, thank. All I know is tire diameter, and all the other numbers might as well be Chinese. I'll spend some time on google to figure the rest out.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I agree that 8" is the way to go for 12.5" unless you going to run 35x14.5 with a 10" beadlock.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Unless you want "stance" go with the 8". I had 15"x10" when I bought my Jeep and hated them with 12.5" width tires. Looked horrible. Also, a 8" width helps you air down alot lower than 10" would, excluding beadlocks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hope that helps.
which one of these would fit the tj bolt pattern and what is offset?

https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productDetail/wheelFitment/AR1725865B/bajab
https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productDetail/wheelFitment/AR1725866B/bajab
https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productDetail/wheelFitment/AR1725873B/bajab
https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productDetail/wheelFitment/AR1725885B/bajab

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Those links lead to a selection tool and not to any rims you may have selected. I don't think that tool allows hot linking like you are trying to do; all links seem to reset the tool to nothing. Just pointing that out. :)

Anyway, we don't use wheel offset in discussions on this forum all that much. The much more commonly used measurement is the rim's backspacing. Most stock TJ rims were 15x7 or 15x8 with 5.5" of backspacing.

Backspacing tells you roughly how far out a rim will protrude from the axle. So a backspacing of 3.75" would be a rim that sticks out 1.75" farther than the same one with the stock BS of 5.5" (which has the tires fully within the flares).

It seems that rims that are 8" wide with a 12.5" tire work best with between 4.5" and 3.5" of backspacing.

The TJ bolt pattern is 5 bolts in a ring that is 4.5" in diameter. (Through the centers, I think.)

That is expressed as 5 on 4.5" or 5x4.5, or for the metric nuts out there: 5x114.3mm. (Some sites will only display in mm for some reason.)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Links work fine for me. I believe Holton answered your question as to which will fit.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I run 33s on 10 wide. I bought a used set of wheels and tires and the wheels were 10. I'm keeping them for one reason, I like the look. I run wide flares too, to keep the mud down and 10 wide fills the space better. True, I can't air down as much. I take them down to about 12 psi off road and they work for what I do. If airing down more than that is important to you, go with 8 wide. If not, go with what you like the looks of best.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
15x8 would be your best choice

·
Read Only
0 Posts
How would a street legal bead lock rim change opinions of the size? Not trying to hijack the thread, just curious with more and more being offered on the market. I am looking to go to a true 33 inch tire eventually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts