Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!

I am brand new to the jeep community and need a little advice and clarification. I just bought a 1997 tj se with a 5 speed, totally stock with the 2.5 liter 4. It is in fantastic shape and only has 86,000 k on it. My tire size is lt235/75/15. My issue is the 9-slot rims. They have seen better days and I would like to move up to 15x8 alloys. My issue is the backspacing. I have read that 5.5 backspacing is totally fine for stock, and I have also read not to exceed 3.5. Sooo.... if I go with canyon or ravine alloys with 5.5 backspace, do I need spacers? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
337 Posts
For a set up like your are wanting something between 3.75"-4.5" bs will work just fine and look better than the 5.5" bs. They will stick out a smidge past the flare if thats ok. If not then a 5.5" OEM type wheel will be needed.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :wavey:

FWIW, Canyons were stock on my '02 Sport. The backspacing is 5.5", and it was part of a 30" tire option package. IIRC, the Ravine rims are a similar deal. You should be fine with a stock 15x8 rim.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, all! I went to a Jeep oe parts yard here in Vancouver, and they hooked me up with a set of oe alloys, 15x7. Pretty decent condition with a scuff or two, but thats about it. $400 for all four (with a warranty). Unless I went aftermarket, good wheels that arent all banged up are pretty scarce out here. They arent canyons or ravines, but theyre oe anyways. Look forward to some more help ! Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts