Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting and did my homework on this forum ahead of time and decided to repost this questions here. ( I found far too much conflicting information in past post's)

04 TJ Sport
4.0 with Auto
2.5 Budget Suspension Lift by Rough Country.

I have ran 31x10.5x15's on my jeep since basically mile 12. No rubbing issues what so ever. Always ran BFG AT's on Stock 15x8 wheels

My Question- with my newly installed 2.5 budget boost is a 33x12.5x15 tire doable? Will I rub at full turn? Or should I just go with 33x10.5x15 on my 15x8" factory wheels or avoid the 33" tire all together.

Reason I ask
1. I have more choices as far as tires go when going 33x12.5x15
2. Want to go bigger than 31"

Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had 33x10.5 on my 05 with stock wheels and rubbed a little at full turn, and currently have 32x11.5 on my 99 and still rub a little with 15x8 and 3.75 offset (aftermarket). I would not try a 33x12.5 on stock wheels, but YMMV. In both cases the contact was between the tire and the lower control arms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Most tj wheels are 15x7.... I believe there is only one factory 15x8

I have 33 10.50's on the stock 15x7 and they rubbed bad when turning until I added 1.25" hub centric spacers.... no rubbing now
33 12.50's would need more yet

2.5" lift isn't enough for 33's.... at a minimum get a 1.25" body lift too

This is w 3"

Attachments

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Just put a couple 5 cent washers under each steering stop

12.5 wide tires on 8 inch wide wheels works well but because it is a fraction of an inch narrower then minimum wheel width called for by tire makers some big chains will not mount 12.5 on an 8 inch wide wheel

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Have you considered the impact on drivability given the 33” tires and 42RLE transmission? If you want to use your overdrive then regearung to 4.88 or 5.13 is mandatory.

·
Registered
580 Posts
AVOID 33" tires but here is some homework
1. take a look at your current 10.5 tires and the rear upper spring perch, I think you find about 1/2-3/4 of space between tire and perch, I don't think 12.5 will fit without spacers, might get by with 11.5 but its close (they wont fit on mine)
2. gofast is right most wheels are 7" however there are 8" gamblers, canyon, ravine, Alcoa's are 8" but all have 5.5 backspacing will still need spacers for 12.5
3. A 2.5 lift is marginal for 33" they may fit maybe (with correct spacers/ backspacing)
but don't hit a crack in the road
4. stock jeep + 33 X 12.5 or 10.5 X 15 tires = need for lots of stuff to do correctly!
axels/gears, 3.5-4.5 lift, wheels, driveshafts, ect. ask me how I know? im still on 31"s

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Washers won't even come close w stock backspacing

Spacers or aftermarket wheels are mandatory w 33's
Gearing will be needed but you CAN drive it by the overdrive off EVERY time you drive it.... honestly you really need to regear just w 31's

Driveshaft and axles changes are not required to run 33's on road and mild trails...

Last.... going from 31's to 33's only gets you 1" of additional clearance.... maybe other mods would suit you better.... IE really good 31's and a locker or limited slip

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
The 04 Rubi my wife drives has stock wheels and metric 33 ish tires and rubbed control arm at full turn until I added a washer on each side now no rub

Does have a slight body lift and spring spacers but stock wheels stock backspacing no wheel spacers worked with washers

·
Knows a couple things...
49,695 Posts
12.5" wide tires WILL rub on the rear coll spring buckets when mounted on any factory wheel, all of which have too much backspacing for that wide of a tire. And it'd take way many more washers on the front steering stop bolts to prevent tire rub at full turn lock with 12.5" tires mounted on factory wheels than I would be comfortable with.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
I trust Jerry

My 33 don’t rub with my centerline 15x8 wheels but they have no offset

The stock Rubi wheels with 32.8 by 11.2 tires aka 285 75 16 Never rubbed in back and rubbed the control arm on front until added washer to steering stop

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Most tj wheels are 15x7.... I believe there is only one factory 15x8

I have 33 10.50's on the stock 15x7 and they rubbed bad when turning until I added 1.25" hub centric spacers.... no rubbing now
33 12.50's would need more yet

2.5" lift isn't enough for 33's.... at a minimum get a 1.25" body lift too

This is w 3"
I run 31x10.5x15(x8)s with 3.25" lift no issues.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yep it's well established that 31's work stock...

I just went through this last year ......W 33 10.50's before adding spacers I lost over 1/2 turn of the steering wheel in each direction... my jeep had roughly the same turning radius as my crew cab dually....

Digger would you mind measuring her tires and backspacing?.... would be interesting to compare apples to apples.... maybe we have different wheel and tire measurements.... oh and check ur pm's too ;)

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Already gave the measurements

One case stock Rubicon 04 wheels 16 inchers

My 98 has summer time centerline wheels 15x8 no offset meaning mounting face is at center aka 4 inches from back and 4 inches from front

Mudders are 33 x12.5
No rub at full turn

No spacers

Sorry not gonna
get snow off tarp and go measure in January

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I missed your second post..... I assume those are calculations vs tape measure #'s... either way should be close..... is she on stock suspension or lifted? Wonder what the back spacing is on the rubi.... pretty curious why a washer worked for her..... something is different
Yeah don't go dig snow off a tarp.... Can't believe it isn't parked in a carpeted garage like Jerry's jeep lol

·
Knows a couple things...
49,695 Posts
My 98 has summer time centerline wheels 15x8 no offset meaning mounting face is at center aka 4 inches from back and 4 inches from front
That calculates out to 4.5" of backspacing which is the most you can run with a 12.5" wide tire. Typically that amount of backspacing causes front tire rub when the steering wheel is cranked left or right to the limits though. It certainly did for me when I ran 4.5" of backspacing with 35x12.50 tires. I had to add two washers each to both of the steering stop bolts to stop my front tires from rubbing the control arms when I turned the steering wheel too close to the steering limits.

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
That calculates out to 4.5" of backspacing which is the most you can run with a 12.5" wide tire. Typically that amount of backspacing causes front tire rub when the steering wheel is cranked left or right to the limits though. It certainly did for me when I ran 4.5" of backspacing with 35x12.50 tires. I had to add two washers each to both of the steering stop bolts to stop my front tires from rubbing the control arms when I turned the steering wheel too close to the steering limits.
At full turn of steering the extra inch of radius will move the tread inner edge even closer to control arm with 35 vs 33

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
At full turn of steering the extra inch of radius will move the tread inner edge even closer to control arm with 35 vs 33

Also not sure if the warn full size hub kit with the modified cj rotors moves the wheels out any as my 98 also has that

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Re: digger84..... I did a quick search and it appears that the rubicon wheels have backspacing than our standard tj wheels.... that would explain your wife's different results....

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Ok Jerry so no change in front how about in back
Does the warn full floater axle kit with full size manual hubs and CJ rotors move the back wheels out any on a 98 TJ D44 that originally had rear drums?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts