Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very strait forward post. I want all you jeep lovers out there to give me your personal opinions. I have 16,000 to spend and boy do I want a jeep. What would you get? I would appreciate things like good price points for millage/modifications/makemodel and ect because I know nothing about jeeps other than my father owned one when I was a kid.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
It all depends on what you want and what is available used near you...

I bought my '08 Sahara 4Dr 1 year ago for just under $14k... 165k miles... The newer you go, the higher the mileage you will have to deal with to keep the price down.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I don't know your situation as far as employment, housing, salary, expected uses....but that being said, if you are in a position to make payments, I would maybe put $10,000 down on a nice new JKU, either Willys or Rubicon depending on your off road ambitions and locale, and spend the other $6,000 on lift, wheels and tires, bumpers, and winch. Not necessarily in that order. You'll likely get a different opinion from every person that chimes in. If you go JK, you'll want something 2012+ for the stronger engine.

Anything used you should lay under it and look for dented frame rails/skid plates, check for loose trackbars, damage to the control arm mounts, control arms themselves, uncharacteristic amounts of rust(all vehicles rust, there's just an acceptable amount to each's personal preference). Check tires for uneven wear that could point you to a suspension issue.

Those are just some points I would be sure to hit if it were me. Like I said originally, I would go new if you're comfortable making payments.

Joe

·
Registered
167 Posts
'04-06 Manual LJ Rubicon

·
Retired Moderator
100,535 Posts
2003 or 2004 TJ Rubicon. These two years, are very reliable!

I would not purchase a 2005 or 2006 TJ, because they have a OPDA 4.0 serious engine issue.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
X 1,000 on the LJ.

Although those things are getting to be like gold - you may not find one for $16k

Also - jeep in mind that any jeep in that price range is going to have some years and miles on it. If $16k is your drop dead budget is $16k, you should be looking in the $12k range so that you have a repair and upgrade budget.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
IMHO, you could do a lot of really cool mods to a Jeep for $16K.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd get a note on a brand new 2 door base jeep. AC, 3.73s and that's about it. Should be around 25k out the door. Then I'd have 16k to spend on mods or trips in the Jeep. Interest rates are so cheap right now it's silly not to take advantage of them.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
you don't need to spend a dime on 'upgrades & mods' without having a Jeep first.....and if this is your FIRST Jeep, any mods/$$$ is rather unfocused on best serving YOUR needs, as the stock Jeep of any kind is amazingly capable IF you recognize what the native capabilities really are.

$16k will go a long way to buy a newish unmodified basic model, which is capable of delighting and surprising and yes, SATISFYING way more needs than you'd expect.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would be looking for an LJ for sure. Pref Rubicon

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
LJ are getting harder and harder to find. A wide search in my area (So Cal - San Diego to Santa Barbara) turns up just a few LJ's.

Price range is $20k - $25k (non Rubi) they all appear to have some mods, indicating they are owned by Jeep type people who recognized the rarity of the model.

I can remember 4-5 years ago you could come across stock looking LJ's sometimes priced only slightly higher than comparable TJ's. It used to be non Jeep type owners who I think didn't fully comprehend what they had.

I remember about 4 years ago there was a completely stock LJ parked near my house with a for sale sign asking $12,500. It sat unsold for weeks - Damn it!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'd get a note on a brand new 2 door base jeep. AC, 3.73s and that's about it. Should be around 25k out the door. Then I'd have 16k to spend on mods or trips in the Jeep. Interest rates are so cheap right now it's silly not to take advantage of them.
In 2013 I bought what you proposed, but it was used (9 month and 11K miles), new it was 25K, but I got that used one for 17K, it took me about 4 months to find such a deal but worth it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Kinda depends if you are looking to get a vehicle for a total of 16k or if you just have 16k right now that can be spent. You don't have to spend much right now if you go new. But it will cost a lot more than 16k in the long run and you'll have payments. (I hate payments). In my area a 16k JK, even a 3.8, only exists with a ton of miles. But you can find some for not much more if you keep your eyes peeled. Bought my 09 Sahara all stock hard top 70k miles and even brand new tires last year for $18k.

But for 16k, you can probably get a really nice TJ. That's near the upper range I saw those for with low miles and well kept. Everyone says dont get an early JK cause the 3.8 is not as good as the 3.6. That's true but there is nothing wrong with the 3.8. Jeep just improved upon it. Its not like TJs were very fast or fuel efficient either. The main issue with used jeeps is to make sure they haven't had too hard a life. TJs are getting pretty old and many have seen a lot of off roading.

If you know you can afford the payments and don't mind having them, this is not a bad approach. The only concern with this thinking though is that you may have 16k left for mods right now, but actually you're still in debt 25k. This is how my coworker keeps going upside down on his vehicles. Pays the minimum loan amount and spends all his money on mods instead of paying it off. Just gotta make sure payments come before mods.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Definitely some marginal financial advise and logic offered up on these boards.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts