Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the practical difference, prices are cheaper for 16" why outside tire diameter is the same as larger

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
a smaller wheel (say 15 vs 18) will give you more rubber for the same sized tire.. that might give you a better ride..
But, it seems that for larger tires like that on Jeeps, 17 is the most popular size..meaning you may have more size options for a 17" rim than for a 16 or 18 ..

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If you are going to say a 37" or larger tire then a larger diameter wheel is fine imo but for say a 33" tire a 16" wheel is a perfect match. You get much more sidewall for airing down and protection from rocks etc while off road.

16" wheels is what I chose and prefer for my 33's, but you'll get a lot of different answers as everyone has their own opinion and preferences on the subject.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have 18" wheels. I would rather have 17" wheels simply because there is a better selection of tires in that size. For example, there are many brands that make a 37" for a 17" wheel, but not as many for an 18" wheel.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just on discount tire website,I can get 4 new cooper set pro and new rims in 15" for a little more than$1500

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you ever think you might want to upgrade the brakes most of the kits require 17 inch wheels for clearance.

·
Registered
997 Posts
a smaller wheel has a larger sidewall which is both good and bad. Larger sidewall means worse turn in response, worse handling & more sidewall flex. However as stated the extra little bit of sidewall can result in a softer ride & in some situations that sidewall flex is a good thing. You can also have a longer stopping distance with smaller wheels usually due to the tire manufacturers offering a different tread compoubd....

larger wheels give quicker more positive turn in response and better handling due to less sidewall flex.

As mentioned above often times it can boil down to tire selection. Some diameter wheels simply have cheaper prices and/or a larger selection of wheels

1 - 9 of 9 Posts