Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got tired of the stock system so it's time to rip it out. I'm pretty dead set on Pioneer's AVH 4100NEX due to its price, removable screen (people still steal radios in Philly apparently..) and Android Auto support. I didn't get any of the bells and whistles when I bought my 16 JKU, so the system is totally stock. Do I need anything special as far as the wiring harness goes so everything, such as my steering wheel controls, continue to work as they should?

Upgrading on a budget, so I'm not doing speaker upgrades just yet but I'm also curious if anyone has any recommendations for when I start upgrading those

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just got the 4200nex installed. I also went with the Maestro RR for SW controls. You'll need a CH1 harness too. Then Metra makes a dash kit to fit the head unit in the dash.

I'm sure you could get a 4100nex somewhere and I don't know all the differences but if you can spend a little more, go with the 4200.

Crutchfield Links below. You can get stuff from amazon for a few $ cheaper but I thought it was worth it to get it all from the same place.

Metra

Maestro RR

CH1

Antenna Adapter

There's another antenna adapter if you want to keep XM/Sirius.
Also, I'm not seeing the 4200 on Crutchfileds site anymore. Not sure why??? The 4201 is a 4200 w/backup camera. I bought the same separately for ~$100 cheaper.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Finally got tired of the stock system so it's time to rip it out. I'm pretty dead set on Pioneer's AVH 4100NEX due to its price, removable screen (people still steal radios in Philly apparently..) and Android Auto support. I didn't get any of the bells and whistles when I bought my 16 JKU, so the system is totally stock. Do I need anything special as far as the wiring harness goes so everything, such as my steering wheel controls, continue to work as they should?

Upgrading on a budget, so I'm not doing speaker upgrades just yet but I'm also curious if anyone has any recommendations for when I start upgrading those
Yes you will need a mounting kit and wiring harness/interface kit to retain your controls.

Check out Crutchfield for the gear you will need. Though they no longer sell the 4100, it is now 2 years old, the gear you need for the 4201 should be the same.

I would also be careful when you buy a 4100. If the seller is not an authorized Pioneer dealer you don't have a warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the 4100 on Amazon for 400 earlier in the week, now it jumped up to 450. For 10 dollars more I can get the 4200 so I think I'll just get that instead. I don't need a backup camera, and if I decide i want one i can just do that myself further down the road. Like I said this is on a budget and I'm trying to have the headunit in before my road trip in 2 weeks. Total bill with all the harnesses, adapters and whatnot comes up to 580ish through amazon, doesn't seem like a bad deal since that's less than the Head unit by itself on crutchfields site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts