Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install a plug and play remote start from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Factory-Remote-Activated-2007-2016-WRANGLER/dp/B00NDZM52A

Gets really good reviews and it was relatively cheap. It plugs right into the ignition module and uses the OEM key fob lock button (3 presses) to start start. Anyway, I'm having a heck of a time taking the lower half of the steering column housing off. I've removed all the necessary screws which are 3 torx screws and have separated all the housing snaps yet it seems to be caught on the lip that's inserted under the steering wheel itself. Any suggestions? I really don't want to force it because I don't want to damage any internal components.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I remember correctly when I installed mine there are screws on the bottom that need to be removed and then it can be pulled apart. I didn't loosen the screws enough at first.

·
Because I Can
362 Posts
Yes, 4 screws and the panels kind of snap together so they need a little persuasion to get apart.. Oh, don't loose any of the screws because you can't get them from dealer without buying the whole cover.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Just did this on my 12' to leather wrap my wheel. There are (2) 10mm bolts & (2) T15 tore screws located in the back at the 9 & 3 o' clock position followed by (2) PHILLIPS screws at the 12 o' clock. The front and rear housing snap together like Tommy said and you just pull them apart. I would disconnect the negative (+) terminal to avoid any problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mike, did you get yours apart? I can only find 1 T15 screw on mine. I can get the top and bottom separated but cannot see a way to slide the plastic out from around the steering wheel (lip is covered by the wheel).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mike, did you get yours apart? I can only find 1 T15 screw on mine. I can get the top and bottom separated but cannot see a way to slide the plastic out from around the steering wheel (lip is covered by the wheel).
oops I mean I found 3 not 4 T15 screws.

·
Registered
874 Posts
^There are also (4) T-15 screws inside once you removed the center piece (Jeep logo) via (2) 10mm bolts on the back side next to the T-15 screw on each side. You separate the 2 plastic pieces pulling apart toward the driver and other toward the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
^There are also (4) T-15 screws inside once you removed the center piece (Jeep logo) via (2) 10mm bolts on the back side next to the T-15 screw on each side. You separate the 2 plastic pieces pulling apart toward the driver and other toward the instrument cluster.

Thank you for the reply.
I have the two pieces separated but on the 2016 it seems they added a collar to the plastic that slides under the steering wheel. The collar does not slide towards the dash enough to allow for the lower piece to pull downward.

You can see the collar in the 2nd image of Mikes original post.
It may be time to do a little plastic modification so I don't have to pull the steering wheel.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I got ya. I was referring to the steering wheel portion not the signal stalk assembly.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
tilt your steering column to the lowest setting and dont lock it into place. Pull the upper steering panel off. take your hand and raise the column a bit and the lower panel should come off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the reply.
I have the two pieces separated but on the 2016 it seems they added a collar to the plastic that slides under the steering wheel. The collar does not slide towards the dash enough to allow for the lower piece to pull downward.

You can see the collar in the 2nd image of Mikes original post.
It may be time to do a little plastic modification so I don't have to pull the steering wheel.
Hi, I have not yet tried to get them off again though I might give it another go based on what "chose" suggested. Like you, I had all the screws out but it was that darn lip that goes into the back of the steering wheel. Have you had any luck yet?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, I have not yet tried to get them off again though I might give it another go based on what "chose" suggested. Like you, I had all the screws out but it was that darn lip that goes into the back of the steering wheel. Have you had any luck yet?
No luck at all. I tried lowering the wheel and even the top section doesn't come out without feeling like the amount I have to bend the piece will snap it in two.

I am going to look at it again this weekend.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No luck at all. I tried lowering the wheel and even the top section doesn't come out without feeling like the amount I have to bend the piece will snap it in two.

I am going to look at it again this weekend.

Later year 2016 and 17's have a collar or flange that prevents the steering column cover from being removed without removing the steering wheel.
More information can be found toward the end of this thread.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/just-installed-remote-start-for-only-99-bucks-484338.html

·
Registered
55 Posts
Trying to replace the turn signal switch on my 2017 JK I also found it impossible to remove the steering dash covers due to the added lip (started in 2016) Jeep did. Only clean way is to remove the steering wheel!!. Can't understand the reasoning except preventing us from doing the job and supporting the dealership thieves.. but here's the workaround.

Using a cutting tool of your choice (I used a Dremmel) trim the lip leaving about about 1/4". No need to cut the whole length, just the left half way will also do the trick.

I chose to cut the whole length and sand it clean and smooth. Here's the cut off

The top part now slides out effortlessly (remember the 3 screws to be removed from the bottom prior and no need to remove any other panel)

Here's the reinstalled panel after the cutting cleanup

·
Registered
1 Posts
I figured out how to simply and quickly remove it with “tools” everyone has. It took me a few hours to figure out how but only a few minutes to implement. I’m hoping this writeup will save others some time and frustration. When I first attempted installation, I actually did this in my driveway as I thought it would take less than an hour. Little did I know, my task would come to a quick halt early in the process as I could not figure out how to remove the panel. After a couple hours of trying, I gave up and decided to do a little research and go at it again the next day. The next morning, I came out armed with screwdrivers, plastic paint scrapers and butter knives. The screwdrivers were not wide enough and the plastic scrapers snapped within minutes. I could get the butter knives into the gap but I could only move them around the panel a few inches. As I hopped out of the Jeep to gather more tools, I accidently rotated the steering wheel. I noticed, with amazement, that the butter knife was moving with the steering wheel. I went ahead and slowly rotated the steering wheel and with the aid of a second butterknife, the panel separated. It was that easy. After wiring everything up and testing it, I put everything back together but not before removing about a ¼ of an inch off the lip of the panel to eliminate the collar that sticks up. I used a Dremel and it wasn’t the cleanest cut but unless you sick your head in between the top of the steering wheel and dash, like a weirdo, you’re never going to see it. Hope this helps.

·
Retired Moderator
104,240 Posts
I figured out how to simply and quickly remove it with “tools” everyone has. It took me a few hours to figure out how but only a few minutes to implement. I’m hoping this writeup will save others some time and frustration. When I first attempted installation, I actually did this in my driveway as I thought it would take less than an hour. Little did I know, my task would come to a quick halt early in the process as I could not figure out how to remove the panel. After a couple hours of trying, I gave up and decided to do a little research and go at it again the next day. The next morning, I came out armed with screwdrivers, plastic paint scrapers and butter knives. The screwdrivers were not wide enough and the plastic scrapers snapped within minutes. I could get the butter knives into the gap but I could only move them around the panel a few inches. As I hopped out of the Jeep to gather more tools, I accidently rotated the steering wheel. I noticed, with amazement, that the butter knife was moving with the steering wheel. I went ahead and slowly rotated the steering wheel and with the aid of a second butterknife, the panel separated. It was that easy. After wiring everything up and testing it, I put everything back together but not before removing about a ¼ of an inch off the lip of the panel to eliminate the collar that sticks up. I used a Dremel and it wasn’t the cleanest cut but unless you sick your head in between the top of the steering wheel and dash, like a weirdo, you’re never going to see it. Hope this helps.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts