Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited on stock 17" wheels. I want to go with 2" of lift and 33X12ish tires, probably on M/T wheels. I do mostly highway miles, but would like to do sand and fire trails.
Can I go with 16" tires and wheels and a higher profile tire to get me to 33"? Seems this would give a beefier look to the tire.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I have a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited on stock 17" wheels. I want to go with 2" of lift and 33X12ish tires, probably on M/T wheels. I do mostly highway miles, but would like to do sand and fire trails.
Can I go with 16" tires and wheels and a higher profile tire to get me to 33"? Seems this would give a beefier look to the tire.
You can. To run tires that wide, you'll need wheels with roughly 4.5" or less of backspacing. The smaller the bs #, the farther out from your Jeep your tires will sit.

Your stock tires have 6.25" of bs, which is horrid. It means that, on your current wheels, if you tried to mount a 12" wide tire (your stockers are only 10" wide), the tires wouldn't fit, unless you ran wheel spacers.

Here's a thread that'll give you a crash course on selecting tire/wheel combos for your Jeep. Ignore the "stock" designation in the title...it's invaluable info. Largest tire on stock JK? Here's your answer!

Go Cowboys. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. :thumb: I have read that thread and found it very informative. The M/T wheels I'm looking at have the proper backspacing. I am wondering how the 16's will look, ride and perform.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Well keep in mind that the 16s with larger tires will be pretty heavy. All the tires for that size wheel are designed for heavy duty pickup trucks. So it's nearly impossible to run a lightweight combo in the 16" flavor. That's why most people do 15s with load range "C" tires, or 17s which have "P" offerings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts