Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've seen a bunch of posts about 16 and 17's but my question is a bit more exact. I have a 2013 JKUR on order and am pre ordering some parts to be installed at mile #1.

Are there any concerns with spacing or other issues with the below setup on 16's over 17's. note the below offset of 16's being less. A tire calculator I found shows the offset difference makes the back spacing identical.

Zone Offroad 3" lift

Level 8 ZX 16" x 8.5" offet = -6
Duratrac 315/75R 16
or
Level 8 ZX 17" x 9" offset = -12
Duratrac 315/70R 17

Any comments or pics is greatly aprreciated. I'd love to save a few bucks on the tires if 16's will work fine, but I just want to be sure and hear from those members that have more experience and knowledge than I.

Thanks in advance,
MJK

·
Registered
873 Posts
(9+1)/2 = 5 inches ---> 5 - .5 inches = 4.5 inches

(8.5+1)/2 = 4.75 inches ---> 4.75 - .25 inches = 4.5 inches

So, as near as I can determine, the backspacing ought to be an identical 4.5 inches. If you have the same back spacing and the same width tire you'll be good either way. That assumes that the 4.5 inches of back spacing recommended for 12.5 inches tires (315 mm or thereabouts) is good to go.

Note, I did some quick rounding in my head for the metric conversions.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I've been looking at the same stuff lately. There are a few factors you don't have listed yet.

PSI - the 16 is a higher pressure tire
load rating - the 16 has a higher load rating

You'll have less flex in the 17 tire when fully aired up, cornering will be stiffer, less tire roll. However, the wheels for 17 tires tend to be 9 inch wide, so less tire bulge too, not bad, but you lose some of the look of big tires and the wheel is less protected by the sidewall of the tire.

Cost - the 16 is cheaper.

Since most 16 wheels are 8 inches wide, you get more tire bulge.

The 16 will should ride softer, but will have some roll to it. TPMS may light up unless you reprogram it for a low PSI. I ran 15's which are even softer and it took a bit of time getting used to it but the ride was nice.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Size ----- 315/75R16 ----- 315/70R17
Service Description ----- 127/124Q ----- 121/118Q
Load Range ----- E ----- D
Load Max. ------ 3860 lbs ----- 3195 lbs.
Inflation Press ----- 65 psi ----- 50 psi
.Tread Depth ----- 18/32" ----- 18/32"
Tire Weight ----- 64 lbs ----- 60 lbs
Rim Width Range ----- 8-10" ----- 8.5-10"
Meas. Rim Width ----- 8.5" ----- 9.5"
Sect. Width ----- 12.3" ----- 12.7"
Tread Width ----- 10.2" ----- NA
Overall Diam. ----- 34.6" ----- 34.4"
Revs Per Mile ----- 602 ----- 604

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it looks like the offset isn't an issue which was my main concern. Also the rims are only a 1/2" narrower so I don't thick the buldge will be much of an issue either. It looks like the ride being softer is the only real consideration. I'm not sure how big a difference that will be but I guess if I save $400 I can probably live with it.

Thank you both.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread, but I'll weigh in with something.

I have two sets of the exact same wheels, one in 16" (for trail tires) and one in 17" (for streets.)

If I had it to do over I'd get the second set in 16" also, just on the basis of looks. My choice was based on a belief that there are more 17" tire choices available, and as time passes that will become even more of a factor (try to get hipo tires in 14" for your 2001 Miata now -- not a lot of choices).

But I really like the "small wheel/big tire" look of the 16" better, plus, in the case of my Wheel Vintiques Smoothies, the proportions of the 17" wheel itself are just a little off because no vintage wheels were that size.

But I really like the look of 16s better, both on my Jeep and VanLupus' jeep above.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Small wheel, thicker sidewalls is my preference. I will be going with 15's on my next set with 35x12.5's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can you do a big brake kit with a 16"?

Does that matter to you?
Any thoughts on big brake kits with 16in rim? I'd eventually like to upgrade the brakes...

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread, but I'll weigh in with something.

I have two sets of the exact same wheels, one in 16" (for trail tires) and one in 17" (for streets.)

If I had it to do over I'd get the second set in 16" also, just on the basis of looks. My choice was based on a belief that there are more 17" tire choices available, and as time passes that will become even more of a factor (try to get hipo tires in 14" for your 2001 Miata now -- not a lot of choices).

But I really like the "small wheel/big tire" look of the 16" better, plus, in the case of my Wheel Vintiques Smoothies, the proportions of the 17" wheel itself are just a little off because no vintage wheels were that size.

But I really like the look of 16s better, both on my Jeep and VanLupus' jeep above.

what tires are you running on each set? I like that smoothie look a lot, bought my wheels for ease of cleaning

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
what tires are you running on each set? I like that smoothie look a lot, bought my wheels for ease of cleaning
The 17s are KO2s, 315/70. The 16s are bias ply Interco Super Swampers in Q78-16, which equates to a 37x11.5.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.