Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

just wondering if anbody here runs the stock steel 16x7 rims with a 35x12.5x16 or 315/75/16 tire.

Thinking of going that way with my new winter tires (yoko g072)

Any issues with this setup?

·
Super Moderator
23,666 Posts
7" seems too narrow for those tires.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
For a 12.5" tire you should be on a 16x8" wheel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the input!

I'm only wondering since a bunch of people are running this size tire on the stock 17" alloys. (I measured 7.5" wide... )

If only for the sake of trying it, I'll mount them on the steelies anyways just to see how it goes, and ill tell you guys how it works out for whoever would be interested.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Your tires will wear much faster. Look at the reccomended wheel width for your specific tire. TireRack.com has lots of informaton.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have looked up the recommended wheel size, which is why I asked your guys' opinion for a set up that would be, um, non-standard :)
My gut tells me ill very soon end up with wider rims anyways, so I have no really good reason to try it. Other than curiosity, of course :) ill keep ya posted.
Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your tires will wear much faster. Look at the reccomended wheel width for your specific tire. TireRack.com has lots of informaton.
+1 based on my research so far tires are tested and rated by manufacturers for heating & wear and they usually give a recommended rim size range and I think a good rule of thumb is rim should be near 80% of the tire width. Additionally, you can put those 12.5" tires on the 7" rims and run them, but you may open yourself up to liability if something bad happens to you &/or others...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My concern is just that there is a cost to mounting an balancing. You'll also need wheel spacers to get those meats to fit. I'd hate to see you spend that money and energy when we all know you'll buy the alloy wheels with decent backspacing anyway. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
My concern is just that there is a cost to mounting an balancing. You'll also need wheel spacers to get those meats to fit. I'd hate to see you spend that money and energy when we all know you'll buy the alloy wheels with decent backspacing anyway. :)
True and while we're on the subject of correct wheels and I think OP would be interested too. What are the best brand and size alloys out there for running 35"s?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm saving the alloys for the summertime, they don't fare to well on our heavily salted roads in the winter. Besides, my summer tires are 17's :)
As for the costs of mounting, my father owns a car garage that I have access to on the weekends and quiet weekdays, so not too worried about that.
If anything concerns me, it's what the previous poster said about liability/insurance issues in case something bad happens. But then wouldn't the same go for anyone who runs 12.5's on the stock jeep alloys? They're out of recommended specs as well...

·
Registered
135 Posts
If anything concerns me, it's what the previous poster said about liability/insurance issues in case something bad happens. But then wouldn't the same go for anyone who runs 12.5's on the stock jeep alloys? They're out of recommended specs as well...
That's right. If you have stock alloys that are 17x7.5 or 18x7.5 and run a tire that's wider then the manufacturer recommends then it's the same...I'm sure there's plenty of folks who do it w/o issue, but that don't make it right nor does it make it safe...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought I would give an update...
Been running this setup for about 1500 miles, with an offroading trip which allowed me to air down (15 psi)... Lots of highway, lots of city.
I've been checking the tire pressure quite obsessively (really, pulling over after 30miles of highway just to check for overheating etc), chalking the tires frequently.
I've settled on 23 psi front and rear.
The "panic" or "fear" has now subsided from the back of my mind.
I can turn hard enough to scare myself and the car is still stable.

I'm convinced.

Btw, running geolandar it72's (315/75/16). Biggest winter tire I could find :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts