Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a heck of a time with my headlights, specifically the passenger side

I replaced the stock headlights about a year ago with a cheapish amazon set of LEDs

worked great at first, and then bit by bit the headlight would just not fire up

pulling the headlight and wiggling connectors seemed to fix it for a time, but inevitably it would crap out

I felt like the issue was the cheap anti-flicker harness, so replaced that, and again, headlights were good for several months, and then boom, headlight not working again

pulling it apart again, wiggle, and lights come back on

try just a straight h13-h4 conversion (no anti-flicker) and same deal

seems like it's a mechanical/physical connection, and I'm really starting to feel it's in the OEM connector. if you hold the wires just right, the headlight works fine

I've tried zip ties, tape, bunch of combinations, but I'm having a heck of a time keeping a solid connection. what else can I do ?

I guess i could attempt to put on a new oem connector?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Clean up the contacts, put some dielectric grease into the socket. Re-connect, test, and use a wire tie to cinch the connection together tightly (and keep it that way).

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,056 Posts
Perhaps it's some corroson on either or both (male/female) on the connection pins? I'd trying cleaning both by scraping them with a small exacto blade, sand paper or anything that can get them clean. Then spray them with a good contact cleaner. Worth a try as it costs nothing to do but a little time.

Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clean up the contacts, put some dielectric grease into the socket. Re-connect, test, and use a wire tie to cinch the connection together tightly (and keep it that way).
Perhaps it's some corroson on either or both (male/female) on the connection pins? I'd trying cleaning both by scraping them with a small exacto blade, sand paper or anything that can get them clean. Then spray them with a good contact cleaner. Worth a try as it costs nothing to do but a little time.

Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.

that's pretty much what I did. I used no-ox as the "grease" as that's what we use for battery maintenace.

I had previously had it all zip-tied up, but this time around I ended up slightly bending the pins on the h13 side so that they HOPEFULLY make better contact inside the OEM connector.

re-zip-tied the whole thing, so hopefully stays good for awhile now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts