Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaning towards buying some procomp 7089 for my 2014 JKU

I'm planning on either a 2.5in teraflex lift or a 2in Mopar lift with 35in tires. This rim comes in two sizes

• Wheel Size: 17x8
  • Bolt Pattern: 5 on 5.5
  • Backspace: 4.5
  • Max Load: 2200
  • Finish: Flat Black
  • Offset: 0
And

• 17x9 wheel size
  • 5x5.5 bolt pattern
  • -6mm offset
  • 4.75" backspacing
  • Flat Black
  • Load lbs. 2200

I'm not sure if I could go with 17x8 or 17x9 - with the extra backspacing of the 17x9 will I run the chance of rubbing or does the -6mm offset fix that? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I can't seem to find a straight answer.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
If you are doing 12.5 wide tires, go 9 inches wide. And JKs are 5x5 bolt pattern.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
If the lift recommends 4.5, probably. See if someone who runs that setup can chime in.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dont gloss over the point in MMC's first post, you need to make sure to get the correct bolt pattern or the wheels wont work for you. Would suck to get them in and mounted, then have to wait on new wheels to ship.

5 on 5 or 5 on 127mm

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont gloss over the point in MMC's first post, you need to make sure to get the correct bolt pattern or the wheels wont work for you. Would suck to get them in and mounted, then have to wait on new wheels to ship.

5 on 5 or 5 on 127mm
Mistake on my part I copy and pasted from the wrong image - I knew the correct bolt pattern. but thank for pointing it out.

Anyone have 17x9 with 4.75 BS on 35x12.5 tires that can speak to any rubbing issue? Just hate to pull the trigger on wheels only to find they rub.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
That 4.75 backspacing will cover most 12.5" wide tires. That is nominal measurement and some tires with that spec have a wider X-section and some a narrower one. It highly depends on the tread that wraps over onto the sidewall when you are that close.

I normally prefer narrow rims like the 17x8 because it provides better rim protection and a stronger bead seal but the narrow rim will make the sidewalls bulge out more so you may be better off with the 17x9s.

·
Super Moderator
14,584 Posts
The 17x9 and 4.75 is a very popular ProComp size and will not cause you any issues. A great setup for 12.5" tires. Make sure that you get the 5x5 bolt pattern, not the 5x5.5 that you listed above.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My '14 has these 17-9rims, 5x5 with 4.75BS with 305/65/17 Procomp EMT2 tires. No rubs lock to lock or normal drivn. But be warned........fully loaded and big bumps (dropping off rocks/ditches/trees) will cause the fender flares to rub since the tires stick out and with suspension articulation you will hear the tires rub inside/under the flares. Ask me, I know! Would not trade them for anything and a 2.5" lift would help for sure.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'm leaning towards buying some procomp 7089 for my 2014 JKU

I'm planning on either a 2.5in teraflex lift or a 2in Mopar lift with 35in tires. This rim comes in two sizes

• Wheel Size: 17x8
  • Bolt Pattern: 5 on 5.5
  • Backspace: 4.5
  • Max Load: 2200
  • Finish: Flat Black
  • Offset: 0
And

• 17x9 wheel size
  • 5x5.5 bolt pattern
  • -6mm offset
  • 4.75" backspacing
  • Flat Black
  • Load lbs. 2200

I'm not sure if I could go with 17x8 or 17x9 - with the extra backspacing of the 17x9 will I run the chance of rubbing or does the -6mm offset fix that? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I can't seem to find a straight answer.

Thanks for any advice!
The width of the wheel will affect tire rub as well as the backspacing. For example, lets say your choice of 17x8 wheel has the same backspacing as your choice of 17x9 wheel. But the 17x9 wheel is one inch wider. That means the bead mounting surface of the outside of the tire is going to moved outward by one inch. The beads of the tire are an inch farther apart, with the outer bead being an inch farther outward. The tread is going to center itself between the bead mounting surfaces, so the tread surface will be 1/2" farther outward on the 1" wider wheel, if both wheels have the same backspacing. But in your example the 1" wider wheel has 1/4" more backspacing than the narrower wheel. So the net effect is that the tire mounted on the wider wheel will still have its inner tread edge 1/4" farther out than when it is mounted on the narrower wheel, even though the narrower wheel has 1/4" less backspacing.

So with those two wheels the 17x8 wheel with 4.5" backspacing will be MORE likely to have tire rub problems than the 17x9 wheel with 4.75" backspacing.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
thanks for the info - if I go with 12.5 wide tires on 4.73 BS would I need to worry about rubbing?
Not sure if this will help but my wheels are 8.5 wide with a 4.75 bs running 35x12.5 and km2. I rub when backing up hard turning left or right on the front air deflector. First week I thought all was cool then it happened and I thought oh! No rub on arms or suspension.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Not sure if this will help but my wheels are 8.5 wide with a 4.75 bs running 35x12.5 and km2. I rub when backing up hard turning left or right on the front air deflector. First week I thought all was cool then it happened and I thought oh! No rub on arms or suspension.
Trim or remove.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
I run the ProComp 7069 17x9 4.75" with 37x12.50x17 PitBulls no problem.

Either the 17x8 4.5"BS or 17x9 4.75" BS will work. 7089 is a great wheel. Ran them a few years ago ..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts