Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Wrangler gets off the train in a week, want some new shoes waiting for her. After drag racing and autocrossing for years, I'm familiar with the pros and cons to each wheel in the on-road world; need some direction in the off-road world. I know a 17x9 will stretch the wheel out (vs a 17x8 with an acceptable tire width). I'm looking to run a 285-70/17 (33") and I'd like to maximize the sidewall height (not pull it outwards, making it look shorter).

I'm thinking a 17x8 would serve this purpose better...looking for thoughts and recommendations for backspacing as well.

Fire away with thoughts and stories of what you guys have run (and advantages disadvantages of each for a 33").... Pics would be great too.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Backspacing on a 17X8 would be 4.5" on a 17X9 you can go up to 5"

I would say 17X8, I run 285/70/17 on stock 17X7.5 and they look good.

Here is my Goodyear 285/70/17 MT/r's on 17X7.5 stocks

After getting 1.5" spacer to decrease backspacing to 4.75"

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If you're just going up to 17x8, why even change them? I'm going 8.5 so I'll have room to grow later, but 17x9 would have been my preference.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'd go with a 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing, like mine. This is what they look like with a 305mm (12.50 inch) wide tire.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You would change them for the backspacing but there is no need for 9's, not that they wont work but 8's are fine. 8, 8.5, or 9 will be fine no matter what. I know plenty using 35X12.5 on 15X8's. It just depends on the look your looking for. But backspacing is the more important reason for new wheels when getting larger tires.

As you can see on my 7.5" wheels the 285 are not even bulging out at all. 285's are 11.22" wide

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oilwell, I'm changing them because I like the look of a particular black wheel.

Ric, what would the difference be asthetically, on the 17x8 vs 17x9 on pushing the wheel tire out of the fender further and also on the sidewall height (stretching them out with a wider wheel seems like it would reduce the height slightly)... ps thanks for the insight so far to all of you.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I would go with the 17x9. If the tire had a shorter sidewall it would make a noticable difference. My wife's car has 275/40/17 tires on 17x9 wheels. If we put those tires on an 8" wheel it would definitely change the look, but they are only 26" tall. On a 33" tire you will have to look pretty hard to tell the difference and it won't change the height any measurable amount. If you decide to go wider in the future, the 9 will let you do that much more easily than the 8.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts