Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade the OEM 17" wheels on my 2018 JKU Sport to maybe MOPAR 82219010AB 18" which are "spec"ed for JK; but have received dealer/supplier "cautions" about 18" wheels on a JK, and suggestions to stay in the 31" diameter tire range. Any thoughts or experience on this?

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
Factory wheels are 7.5" wide, so depending on what tire size you want they may be too narrow, that's likely the "caution" you were receiving.

I guess I'd have to ask why you're wanting to change. If it's a "looks" thing then I get it, but IMO 18s are not as good off road, less sidewall.

:welcome: to the forum! :wavey:

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
Looking to upgrade the OEM 17" wheels on my 2018 JKU Sport to maybe MOPAR 82219010AB 18" which are "spec"ed for JK; but have received dealer/supplier "cautions" about 18" wheels on a JK, and suggestions to stay in the 31" diameter tire range. Any thoughts or experience on this?
Like BBS said, other than how narrow factory 18" rims are (7.5") you should have no issues running factory 18" rims, if that is the size you want. They are, after all, a factory available option that comes on a large number of Jeeps.
There are both factory and aftermarket wheels in that size. Aftermarket 18" wheels would not likely have an issue with width, and they would also typically have less offset which would widen the stance. You can, however, widen the stance of factory wheels with spacers.
If your Jeep will not be used off road, it really comes down to looks and looks are personal / subjective. If you use your Jeep off road you may want to re-consider and go with a quality 17" wheel. You can use 18" wheels off road, but as mentioned they will offer less sidewall for any given size. We tend to tear up our 17" wheels enough, I can't imagine running larger wheels. But if you don't plan on off roading that may not be an issue, then it comes down to looks and personal taste.

If you do want a factory 18" wheel you should be able to score a deal on some take offs from someone upgrading to a more off road oriented wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys: Thanks for the very helpful & quick replies. The main usage concern is ice & snow on mountain roads, rather than off-road. RG

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
Guys: Thanks for the very helpful & quick replies. The main usage concern is ice & snow on mountain roads, rather than off-road. RG
There are warnings / issues with running chains on larger tires. That is not so much about wheel size as it is tire size, as I understand it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
No issue if you are running smaller tires. More about the tire tread in your instance than the wheel itself. I run 18 x 9's on mine(but on 35's). If you aren't doing major off roading it's more about personal preference.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Huh? 18" wheels come STOCK on the Sahara model. With proper backspacing, you can run 18" no-stock wheels on ant JK Wrangler. I have 18's ad 34's on mine. depending on your off-road needs, 18" tires provide plenty of sidewall. Now 20's no.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I run 18s on my JKU and they are amazing! 18X10 Moto Metal, great off-road and they look boss, always get looks and compiiments. My Jeep is show and off-road. 18's do a great job for both.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
No concerns other than looking like mall crawler like a lot of the posters to this thread. They probably have Auto Transmissions as well. :tomatoes::tomatoes::tomatoes:

just kidding. I have no friends and cannot figure out why. :bop:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
No concerns other than looking like mall crawler like a lot of the posters to this thread. They probably have Auto Transmissions as well.

just kidding. I have no friends and cannot figure out why.
Lol....I'll mall crawl right up and over that doorless minivan in your avatar! Hehe....

·
Registered
866 Posts
Factory wheels are 7.5" wide, so depending on what tire size you want they may be too narrow, that's likely the "caution" you were receiving.

I guess I'd have to ask why you're wanting to change. If it's a "looks" thing then I get it, but IMO 18s are not as good off road, less sidewall.

:welcome: to the forum! :wavey:
Tires will also cost more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shotgun riders

No concerns other than looking like mall crawler like a lot of the posters to this thread. They probably have Auto Transmissions as well. :tomatoes::tomatoes::tomatoes:

just kidding. I have no friends and cannot figure out why. :bop:

Mall Crawlers seem to have babe's in the shotgun seat; and Panzer Posers seem to have another guy (or a bear looking to steal some lunch). Just an observation.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I got a deal on stock 18"s from a 2105 Sahara for 350.00 on FB marketplace. 5 rims and tires with only 7000 miles on 4 of them, one new.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
I have factory 18" with Spydertrax 1.5" spacers and 295/70 R18 (34x11.5") Cooper StMaxx tires. They work pretty well for me off road.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have 18" on my 12 Sahara, they are stock on that model.
That said, a 33" tire on a 17" rim has more sidewall than it does on an 18" rim. I would have preferred 17" wheels Offroad for that reason.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts