Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just posted a message in the new member section, but I have my first "tech" question.

I just bought my wife a '08 Wrangler X in Tampa, Florida. Overall, I'm pleased with the vehicle, but I don't really have any standard by which to compare the vehicle. Everything seems ok, but I suppose time will tell. Just after owning it for one day, the left front brake caliper locked up and the outside brake pad chewed up the rotor. Maybe it was locked up, or at least partially so, when I bought it. Anyway, I fixed that problem.

The dealer swapped out whatever tires and wheels this Jeep had for 18" wheels. While I think they look good, I'm wondering if the oversized wheels is going to present any problems for me down the road. Specifically, is there any type of modification that should be done when outfitting the vehicle with these wheels? Here they are:

Are there any basic things I should be checking on this that maybe specific to Jeeps? I am already going the normal maintenance items, but my wife will be driving from Florida to Tennessee this upcoming weekend and I want to be sure all systems are go.

BTW, the Jeep has 35,000 miles on it.

Thanks, and I look forward to your responses!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Shouldn't cause any problems! It looks like he took some wheels from a Sahara and dropped them in place. IMHO, you got a good deal there vs. the stock steel 16 inch wheels on the standard X. That said, one thing to keep in mind is that the springs on the older X models aren't as big as on the Sahara...meaning lesser ground clearance. The original tires weren't as tall as the 18 inchers from the Sahara. No big deal unless you're getting some rubbing.

I bought my '14 Rubicon X band new, and my only Mechanical complaint, like a lot of other manual tranny folks, is how noisy the tranny is. Mine sounds like someone shaking a bag of marbles when I accelerate. I think the older JKs with the 3.8 have the same issues. I think a lot of folks have been replacing the manual tranny gear oil to quiet it down and I might do the same after getting yet another, What do you expect? It's a Jeep! from the dealer ( sorry for missing quotes..on a UK keyboard!)

Besides that no issues!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks Tomba! I think you're right, they are Sahara wheels. My complaint now is the spare is the stock wheel with the OEM tire, which is toast. I just found (4) 18" Jeep wheels on Craigslist for $65. I'm gonna probably buy all of them just to get the correct size spare. Ugh!

I haven't noticed any rubbing, but I will keep my eye on it. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
625 Posts
OH! Absolutely swap the spare with an 18! Keep in mind while you're searching...the earlier Jeeps used a different TPMS ( Tire Pressure Monitoring System) than the newer ones...2013 and newer ( might want to check my 2013 date...2012 could also be using the newer type) will have the 433 MHz sensors which will not work on your Jeep. Not a big deal since it's just a spare, but you'll have that annoying tire pressure light stay on If you ever have to use it.

I honestly don't think you'll have a rubbing issue...the 2 door models sit a bit higher than my 4 door Unlimited. Oh! Since those tires are a bit bigger than the original 16's you might also want to double check to make sure your Speedometer is accurate. might only throw off your MPH a little. If it's off and it bugs you, I'd suggest either buying an AEV module and reprogramming the tire size or taking it to the Jeep dealer and having them do it. Could save you from the vicious GA. state troopers :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's funny you mention the TPMS light. It is already on! I'm wondering if the wheels on there might be the ones you spoke of.

Speaking of air... With these tires being bigger than stock, how much PSI should I run in them? Still go by the OE recommendations or the tire?

Thanks for the help so far!

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
No issues with size at all. The 18" wheel has virtually no effect on anything. The tire diameter is the same between the factory 17" and the Sahara 18" configuration. Recommended tire PSI should also be the same. Wheel back spacing is the same.

The small drawback is that 18" tires are a little more expensive. Also, if you are building a serious off road rig, the larger wheel is less desirable, but you would be replacing the wheels anyway to install larger tires.

The issue you might have, is non compatible TPMS sensors. The dealer might need to swap those out for you.

Throw a SpiderWebShade on there and have some fun!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I suggest you check the engine oil dip stick and check it often !!!
SOME of the 3.8L engines suck oil , some more than others....
Good luck with yours.
You may want to check the Speedo reading , My jeep came with 18's and the they never
changed the speedo, it was off quite a bit from the 16" wheels....
I bought a AEV Procal and re calibrated the speedometer..... "BH"

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I suggest you check the engine oil dip stick and check it often !!!
SOME of the 3.8L engines suck oil , some more than others....
Good luck with yours.
You may want to check the Speedo reading , My jeep came with 18's and the they never
changed the speedo, it was off quite a bit from the 16" wheels....
I bought a AEV Procal and re calibrated the speedometer..... "BH"
X2. The sensors you need have to be 315Mhz. If you're not concerned with having TPMS an AEV Procal can also disable it and there will be no light. I disabled TPMS with a Procal a long time ago. The tires you have should call for 35 lbs. Good luck with your new JK.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Deton8r,

That's a nice looking setup. Those wheels and tires should drive very well and be good in the rain or on the beach too.

The dealer might have the 5th tire and wheel you need. If those 18s were takeoffs, there must have been five. Maybe ask them.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
There are 2 issues with the Sahara rims is that the larger diameter exposes them to rash offroad and even at the curb. It's surprising how much difference each 1" increment makes once you reach 16" diameter when you have tires 32" or smaller.

The other disadvantage is cost and availability of tires options for 18" rims. There are fewer tires and they are more expensive than their smaller diameter counterparts.

It's a classic tradeoff of form over function. It's your choice. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's funny you mention the TPMS light. It is already on! I'm wondering if the wheels on there might be the ones you spoke of.

Speaking of air... With these tires being bigger than stock, how much PSI should I run in them? Still go by the OE recommendations or the tire?

Thanks for the help so far!
I'm still on my stock 17", but I'd look up the recommended pressures of the 2 door Sahara with 18" and go with that. If the TPMS light is on now, the book says to drive it about 30 miles..if you've already done that then I'd say yeah, you probably got the wrong TPMS. As someone correctly stated you do need 315 and not the 433..guessing you have the latter.

I did swap out my wife's 20" from her Ford Explorer to 17" wheels because of the lack of snow tires for her soccer mom SUV and the snow tire requirement for where I was living in Europe. We still have the 20's and use them in the summer time. Her SUV requires me to manually program each wheel after I swap it, something we don't have to do on a Jeep. I have to put the same air pressure in her 17" as I do in her 20's or else the TPMS system loses its mind. I'd suggest ordering a full set of 315 MHz sensors then having a place like Discount tire swap them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deton8r,
The dealer might have the 5th tire and wheel you need. If those 18s were takeoffs, there must have been five. Maybe ask them.
Yeah, I did ask him when I took delivery. He said they swapped them out when another customer wanted the wheels that were on my Jeep when the dealer bought it. I don't know what it had, but in any event, they did not have the 5th wheel & tire.

I found four 18" Sahara wheels (without tires) on Craigislist for pretty cheap. They are supposedly from a 2010 model, so if he still has them tomorrow, I plan to pick them up. Since I only need the one wheel, I guess I will be selling the remaining three! I think I might put them back on Craigslist for $25 each and recoup my money.

After I have the fifth wheel for a proper spare, I plan to pick up a Bridgestone Dueler from Discount Tire. They have them for $160. That is what the Jeep has on it right now and the tread is like new. It gives me pause to buy a Bridgestone because they are OEM on the motorcycle I have and we call them Brickstones. Hopefully the passenger/light truck tires are better!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
As long as you are aware that 2010 Sahara wheels are not the same style wheels that you currently have on your JK. The wheels that you have are from a later model Sahara.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As long as you are aware that 2010 Sahara wheels are not the same style wheels that you currently have on your JK. The wheels that you have are from a later model Sahara.
This is merely an appearance issue, right? I plan to use it only for a spare. I don't normally rotate in the spare with the other four tires on my truck, but is that something I should be doing?

·
Registered
178 Posts
No issues with size at all. The 18" wheel has virtually no effect on anything. The tire diameter is the same between the factory 17" and the Sahara 18" configuration. Recommended tire PSI should also be the same. Wheel back spacing is the same.

The small drawback is that 18" tires are a little more expensive. Also, if you are building a serious off road rig, the larger wheel is less desirable, but you would be replacing the wheels anyway to install larger tires.

The issue you might have, is non compatible TPMS sensors. The dealer might need to swap those out for you.

Throw a SpiderWebShade on there and have some fun!
Pressurizer,

Good info, but help me out....new to the game. Why are the larger wheels less desirable for off road. Not getting too serious on mine, but I do want to do some off-roading in Moab this year and I have a JKUS with 18's.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
This is merely an appearance issue, right? I plan to use it only for a spare. I don't normally rotate in the spare with the other four tires on my truck, but is that something I should be doing?
Strictly appearance. Your spare will look different. That's up to you if you're ok with it. As far as doing a 5 tire rotation, that's also up to you. If you do you'll have a different looking wheel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Strictly appearance. Your spare will look different. That's up to you if you're ok with it. As far as doing a 5 tire rotation, that's also up to you. If you do you'll have a different looking wheel.
:happyyes: Yeah, I'm ok with it. Its a yellow Jeep after all! :lmao:

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
Pressurizer,

Good info, but help me out....new to the game. Why are the larger wheels less desirable for off road. Not getting too serious on mine, but I do want to do some off-roading in Moab this year and I have a JKUS with 18's.

Thanks!
When off roading, you will air down your tires to a much lower PSI. This is done to make the tire more compliant and improve traction, especially when crawling over rocks, etc. Also, the extra sidewall helps prevent wheel damage...

Here is a shot from the Metalcloak website showing the sidewall flex on the front tire. Imagine if you were running lower profile tires...

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think it's a good idea to rotate the spare as part of the normal rotation. If you decide to change to a different tire, either size or tread, you'll have the old spare that doesn't match and has no miles on it. You end up with a new/old tire. If you rotate it in, you'll go 20% farther before needing tires. I'm already on my third set of tires in 40,000 miles. None of the old ones are worn out, but I wanted a different size than stock and then didn't like those. Sheesh.

A smaller point is that a five tire rotation done clockwise is very easy with just one jack. Take off the left rear and put on the spare, take off the left front and put on the left rear, etc. It's also very easy to dismount the spare on a Jeep, compared to a pickup.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I like the yellow ☺

1 - 20 of 21 Posts