Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see in the lift reviews thread that people buy these coils for an average total of 160 dollars. how do you find four of these coils for that price?!?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
You have a 4 door. I doubt the 19/60 swap will be worthwhile. Trust me--I've done it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You have a 4 door. I doubt the 19/60 swap will be worthwhile. Trust me--I've done it.

Not true. A friend of mine brought his jeep over a few months ago with these springs , and after the install he did get 1-1/2''- 2'' of lift. And yes it was a 4dr.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Not true. A friend of mine brought his jeep over a few months ago with these springs , and after the install he did get 1-1/2''- 2'' of lift. And yes it was a 4dr.
Let's put it this way--it's almost certainly true.

IIRC, my 4 door--like many 4 doors--came stock with 16 and 17 fronts, and 58 rears. I installed 19/60 coils along with .75" spacers and got about 1.5" of lift. Probably a little less once it settled. So you're looking at about .75" of lift or so going from a reasonably "typical" 4 door stock set up to a 19/60 swap. IMO, that's not worth it.

But, acknowledging your friend's experience, I'd say the OP needs to check the numbers on his stock coils. If his fronts are at 16 or over, I'd say it's a waste. He'd be better served just getting a budget boost or saving his pennies for a little while and installing a decent coil lift.

And I'd have your friend measure his jeep again as I expect it's settled some. I'm guessing he probably got about an inch, tops.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
It really depends on the springs you have under them now. A lot of the JKU's already have stiffer spring and wont see much of a change. You really need either 14/55 or 13/54 or somewhere in that range to make this a worthwhile venture

I got mine from the Chrysler Parts Center via telephone at 800-519-5279

But here is the website. Chrysler Parts Center - Order Online- Genuine Dodge Parts, Genuine OEM Chrysler Parts and Accessories, Dodge Parts, Jeep Parts, Plymouth Parts, Eagle Parts

And here is a good thread on the swap

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/considering-a-spring-swap-55849.html

The part numbers are:

The front springs are part # 52126319AB

And the rears are part # 68004460AA

The backs were 35 each and the fronts were 43 each for a total of $156.00 with $25 shipping.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys. my 2010 4 door has the 16's on the front, didnt check the rear. i have researched for days and suspect that i want to go with OME shocks, the ones that come in their 2" lift kit. ofc, the kit is almost 800 dollars which is too much for me.

the shocks would come in around 330 shipped. i dont want to justs get spacers for the looks, i'd like to upgrade the springs as well for a better ride.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Thank you guys. my 2010 4 door has the 16's on the front, didnt check the rear. i have researched for days and suspect that i want to go with OME shocks, the ones that come in their 2" lift kit. ofc, the kit is almost 800 dollars which is too much for me.

the shocks would come in around 330 shipped. i dont want to justs get spacers for the looks, i'd like to upgrade the springs as well for a better ride.
That's what I did--OME shocks and everything. Definitely a huge improvement in the ride.

16 is borderline, so I'd check both sides as they're usually different. If you've got 15/16 up front that's a little different than 16/17 up front. Either way, if you go ahead with the 19/60 I'd toss in a .75" spacer in the front to level the jeep out and guarantee yourself a little lift. JMHO.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Not 100% true but for the most part you will see about a 1/3" per increase in stiffness. It depends on the weight of your Jeep. A lot of aftermarket weight like heavy bumpers will cause more sag on the weaker coils and less on the stiffer ones but from a stock setup it's around a 1/3" per

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would it be wise to just go with the OME shock and spring kit for $670?

Or get the OME shocks and then mopar springs? MTH, you said you went with OME for both, how are those springs holding up?

Side note, I will be getting 33" duratracs on 16" rims within two weeks.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Would it be wise to just go with the OME shock and spring kit for $670?

Or get the OME shocks and then mopar springs? MTH, you said you went with OME for both, how are those springs holding up?

Side note, I will be getting 33" duratracs on 16" rims within two weeks.
No no, I must have been unclear--I went with the Mopar 19/60 springs and the OME shocks. I added .75" spacers all around at the same time, and am now going to swap out to a 2.5" TeraFlex coil lift because I need more lift to flex my 33" DuraTracs.

The OME shocks are outstanding. My understanding is the OME coils are as well. If I had it all to do over again, I would've gotten whatever OME's equivalent is for a 2.5" coil lift along with the matching shocks.

That said, you can see my 4 door with 19/60 coils, .75" spacers, and 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs here. If you imagine the Jeep sitting .75" lower, I think you can see pretty clearly why I AT LEAST needed the .75" spacers on top of the 19/60 coils.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
MTH said:
No no, I must have been unclear--I went with the Mopar 19/60 springs and the OME shocks. I added .75" spacers all around at the same time, and am now going to swap out to a 2.5" TeraFlex coil lift because I need more lift to flex my 33" DuraTracs.

The OME shocks are outstanding. My understanding is the OME coils are as well. If I had it all to do over again, I would've gotten whatever OME's equivalent is for a 2.5" coil lift along with the matching shocks.

That said, you can see my 4 door with 19/60 coils, .75" spacers, and 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs here. If you imagine the Jeep sitting .75" lower, I think you can see pretty clearly why I AT LEAST needed the .75" spacers on top of the 19/60 coils.
Assuming you are staying with the OME shocks.
Are you using the extensions with the TF KIT?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Assuming you are staying with the OME shocks.
Are you using the extensions with the TF KIT?
Yes.

And yes, that means that I have actually paid for good shocks, but will nevertheless be using shock extensions. :facepalm:

That said, the OME shocks are for 0-2" of lift. The TeraFlex kit is a 2.5" lift. So I may just use one side of the extensions (lower in front, upper in rear) just so they're not as visible.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
MTH said:
Yes.

And yes, that means that I have actually paid for good shocks, but will nevertheless be using shock extensions. :facepalm:

That said, the OME shocks are for 0-2" of lift. The TeraFlex kit is a 2.5" lift. So I may just use one side of the extensions (lower in front, upper in rear) just so they're not as visible.
Any negatives to using them you know of?

Strongly considering upgrading.

OME I hear are great shocks
Rancho adjustable 9000's
Those are my choices.

Even considering the Tera's to match the lift . Need to do some googling on these though. I don't know to much about them.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Any negatives to using them you know of?
Less travel. You haven't actually increased the length of the mechanism that provides shock absorbtion, but rather only increased the length of the shock itself. So whereas a truly longer shock would have more up/down travel than a stock size shock, a shock with extensions would not.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so as of right now this is the setup I would like to go with:

OME shocks
19/60 springs
daystar .75 spacers

would i need longer sway bar links?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
so as of right now this is the setup I would like to go with:

OME shocks
19/60 springs
daystar .75 spacers

would i need longer sway bar links?
That is my current set up, and it rides great on 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs. I'm using the stock sway links. Just be aware that if you offroad, I think it'll be a little short for the wheel flex and would expect to rub the fender flares sometimes.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That is my current set up, and it rides great on 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs. I'm using the stock sway links. Just be aware that if you offroad, I think it'll be a little short for the wheel flex and would expect to rub the fender flares sometimes.
wouldnt longer sway links be advised?:confused:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
wouldnt longer sway links be advised?:confused:
M'eh, like I mentioned, it only netted me about an inch or maybe an inch and a half of lift. Lift "kits" in taller sizes than that often don't include new sway links. That said, if you can get an adjustable set, sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts