Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've got a few questions before starting my spring swap next week. I've got a 12' 2 Door Sport that currently has 14/55's, from what I've read I should expect 1 - 1.5" of lift out of it. My question is related to the track bars. Will I need to install adjustable ones to get everything re-centered, or will I be ok after an alignment? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I rip it appart.

Thanks!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I went from 14/55s to 18/59s and did not notice any noticible difference in the axle centering. I gained about 1.5" in the front and .75" in the rear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

I've been scouring the googler about the swap, but no one ever mentions anything about the swap effecting any other componants. I just wanted to make sure before I started.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I went from 14/55s to 18/59s and did not notice any noticible difference in the axle centering. I gained about 1.5" in the front and .75" in the rear.
If all the numbers I read about were the same numbers you got when going from 14/55 to 18/59 I would go this way. The problem is I have read about 20 different posts on 4 forums and it seem like everyone is getting different numbers. I got a jeep dealer that had to keep my jeep longer than he had promised and had no loaner for me to give me new 2- 18's and 2-59's free.
I have a teraflex leveling kit in my jeep now and it leveled it great but after adding a bumper and winch I lost 1/2 inch so now I have a small rake again.
My wife told me don't lift that jeep any higher or else. Well she bought my jeep for me for my birthday so I must listen to her or my next birthday may not be as good or I'll find out what the ( or else means)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, just installed the 19/60's and rubi red shocks. Got 1.5" in the front and 1" in the rear. Took about an hour and a half. I had about a 30 minute drive home from my friends garage, it drove strait but I'm going to have it aligned once my rims and tires are on next week. What an improvement in ride compared to the stock black sport shocks.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Did you loosen all the control arms and track bars and re-torque them with the Jeep on the ground?? I know it is only 1,5" and 1" of lift but it will harm the bushings in your control arms if not doing properly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ok, just installed the 19/60's and rubi red shocks. Got 1.5" in the front and 1" in the rear. Took about an hour and a half. I had about a 30 minute drive home from my friends garage, it drove strait but I'm going to have it aligned once my rims and tires are on next week. What an improvement in ride compared to the stock black sport shocks.
How is it improved? Firmer ride, less body roll in corners? I am just curious, since I just got a 2013 Sport and wonder if I should be keeping an eye out for Rubicon take-off stuff.

thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I disconnected the track bar before we started, and reconnected after it was back on the tires (swaybar links were also disconnected) I didn't touch the control arms. We did't have to drop the axles very far to get the new springs in. I ended up using a spring compressor on the front because I was worried about messing up the brake lines (even once the clip is removed from the frame, you don't have much slack to play with). I was shocked at how easily everything went together.
I read on another thread that someone had issues with the bushings binding and it pulled the axles over to one side by an inch or so, but that was because the track bar was not loosened. I measured from the frame to the tires and both sides are dead even. Drives strait, no shake whatsoever.

The ride has vastly improved, I think this is due to the gas shocks. I found the springs and shocks on ebay for $200 shipped to my house. Would recommend to anyone who likes the idea of using stock parts. The jeep is completely leveled now, and it looks great. Will post pics in a few min, have to download the app on my iphone.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Super T said:
How is it improved? Firmer ride, less body roll in corners? I am just curious, since I just got a 2013 Sport and wonder if I should be keeping an eye out for Rubicon take-off stuff.

thanks.
Less body roll and takes the bumps / potholes better. The gas shocks smooth everything out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts