Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a set of rubicon stock spring 60 rears and 19 front. Now I'm in a dilemma of what to do. I was going to buy the TF 1.5 leveling kit with spacers to add to my stock 15/59s. Now I'm worried about what I need to do. I hate to put the new rubicon springs on and then still need the leveling kit or lift. It's a 2008 4 door jk. I'm not looking for a huge lift its mainly for looks. My plan to to also add a front bumper and put my old winch on from my old jeep. I use it for snow and the occasional log road. Bumper will be the barricade mid width. It weighs 79 lbs. what do u guys think I should do. I really only want to break everything down one time.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I did the same thing on my Willys...did the TF leveling kit first, then added the bigger springs. No problems, except the shocks were a little short. Didn't get a very good ride until I switched to Rancho 5000's that are about 4" longer than stock.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The only springs that even come close to leveling a JK are the 10A coils so if you want to eliminate the rake you will need to a 1" spacer to the front 19/60 coils.

Talking the suspension apart only once is a good tactic. Each you take it apart you run the risk of having a joint bind that will later become loose.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
I completely disagree. I have installed 19/60 on 2 Jeeps and both were level. One has a winch. BTW they are NOT Rubicon springs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand they are not specific Rubicon spring but these came off a rubicon so in a way they are rubicon springs.

image-2040141176.jpg

This is the jeep they came off of and where on the jeep in this picture.

·
Registered
337 Posts
FWIW, I have a 15/60 setup (2dr, X) and even with a 3/4" spacer in front, I'm still not quite level. 19/60 would get me there or another .5-.75" puck. My guess is that you'll need some kind of spacer but probably not the full 1.5" TF kit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the TF 1.5 today and the bumper. Partly because the kit was 160 bucks and comes with sway bar links. I figure I'll used the rear puck and play with fronts especially with the bumper coming and winch

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I completely disagree. I have installed 19/60 on 2 Jeeps and both were level. One has a winch. BTW they are NOT Rubicon springs.
Well you are lucky. :thumb:

I've looked a numerous Jeeps and I do mean numerous to the extent that the sales guy (who is a friend of a friend) who works for a dealer with large inventory in SoCal thought I was obsessed with JK coils as he walked me around. And not one of them sat close (including 19/60) to level other than 10As. Also, no one of them had the same ride height as any of the 10As. Part of it may depend on what you consider level and how you measure it. My 10A sat pretty close to level with stock coils but neither the frame nor the roof centered the bubble on the level exactly. I tried a smaller version of the same exercise when the X came out in '14 with similar results.

·
Registered
837 Posts
They have stiffer coils to get proper ride height with the additional weight of whatever options the vehicle has.

My sport has 13 front springs, If I put the 19's I will gain a bunch of height.

Why? I have less weight than the springs were intended for so there will be alot less static sag from the stiffer springs = more height.

All the jk's should be at the same height factory the different spring rates are there to make this happen.

Well you are lucky. :thumb:

I've looked a numerous Jeeps and I do mean numerous to the extent that the sales guy (who is a friend of a friend) who works for a dealer with large inventory in SoCal thought I was obsessed with JK coils as he walked me around. And not one of them sat close (including 19/60) to level other than 10As. Also, no one of them had the same ride height as any of the 10As. Part of it may depend on what you consider level and how you measure it. My 10A sat pretty close to level with stock coils but neither the frame nor the roof centered the bubble on the level exactly. I tried a smaller version of the same exercise when the X came out in '14 with similar results.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mr.P_0_0_P said:
They have stiffer coils to get proper ride height with the additional weight of whatever options the vehicle has. My sport has 13 front springs, If I put the 19's I will gain a bunch of height. Why? I have less weight than the springs were intended for so there will be alot less static sag from the stiffer springs = more height. All the jk's should be at the same height factory the different spring rates are there to make this happen.
I agree to disagree. If your speaking of the rear only I might agree. Hard top, towing, spare tire size. There is not a lot of option to the front that these will differ wise based on weight. So say all jks should be at the same height factory. Is a broad statement. Mine sits nose down With 15/59.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Honestly the more of these spring threads I read the more subjective the subject gets. Probably the most useful info would be to know how much longer the 19s are compared to the 18s, and how much loner the 18s are compared to the 17s, and so on. The reason I say that is it seems almost every Jeep needs a different combo even if they were built with the same options. Additionally, owners have a different perspective on how the Jeep should sit and what is "level".

I bring up the level issue because I consider my 2015 2 door softtop Rubicon with a manual trans and a tow package to be perfectly level with 14/56 springs. Both by measurements to the bottom edge at the center of the front and rear fender flares as well as to the front and rear of the rock rails under the doors. If I got new springs I would want the same stance but raised.

The reason I say "level" is subjective is that even with the above measurements being even front to rear the hood and roofline is nowhere near level... not even close.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Honestly the more of these spring threads I read the more subjective the subject gets. Probably the most useful info would be to know how much longer the 19s are compared to the 18s, and how much loner the 18s are compared to the 17s, and so on. The reason I say that is it seems almost every Jeep needs a different combo even if they were built with the same options. Additionally, owners have a different perspective on how the Jeep should sit and what is "level". I bring up the level issue because I consider my 2015 2 door softtop Rubicon with a manual trans and a tow package to be perfectly level with 14/56 springs. Both by measurements to the bottom edge at the center of the front and rear fender flares as well as to the front and rear of the rock rails under the doors. If I got new springs I would want the same stance but raised. The reason I say "level" is subjective is that even with the above measurements being even front to rear the hood and roofline is nowhere near level... not even close.
It's because most people go by looks. I've seen people add spacers to perfectly level jeeps. Reason being the slope of the hood. the jeep ends up nose high.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Follow up after lift. I put my 19/60 springs on yesterday with the TF 1.5 spacers. I now measure exactly 20 inch at the front and at the rear of the pinch seam. Front raise about 2.5 inches rear 1.5 inches. The spring where new takes offs. I have not taken it for a drive yet but I'm sure everything will settle a hair. Make the stock 255's look small. My old springs where 59s and 15s. I also added rubi shocks. I'm pleased. Now just gotta get wheels and tires and alignment

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Honestly the more of these spring threads I read the more subjective the subject gets. Probably the most useful info would be to know how much longer the 19s are compared to the 18s, and how much loner the 18s are compared to the 17s, and so on. The reason I say that is it seems almost every Jeep needs a different combo even if they were built with the same options. Additionally, owners have a different perspective on how the Jeep should sit and what is "level".

I bring up the level issue because I consider my 2015 2 door softtop Rubicon with a manual trans and a tow package to be perfectly level with 14/56 springs. Both by measurements to the bottom edge at the center of the front and rear fender flares as well as to the front and rear of the rock rails under the doors. If I got new springs I would want the same stance but raised.

The reason I say "level" is subjective is that even with the above measurements being even front to rear the hood and roofline is nowhere near level... not even close.
There is very little difference between 18 and 19.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
They have stiffer coils to get proper ride height with the additional weight of whatever options the vehicle has.

My sport has 13 front springs, If I put the 19's I will gain a bunch of height.

Why? I have less weight than the springs were intended for so there will be alot less static sag from the stiffer springs = more height.

All the jk's should be at the same height factory the different spring rates are there to make this happen.
The fact is you are wrong. What you are saying makes sense, but it's simply not true. Side by side lower number springs are significantly shorter. At one time I had pictures of my 14/55 next to 19/60 springs and there is a big size difference. I no longer have the pictures, but the fact is they are taller as well as stiffer.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Okay.

Then if that is true we should put it as the rating being the same COMPRESSED length with a certain amount of options.

They should be close to the same compressed on each vehicle they are installed on.

That would be more accurate? Regardless of uncompressed length or rating once put on the appropriate vehicle they would all sit about the same?

Length and stiffness could go hand in hand depending on the coil?

Not arguing just trying to get proper terminology and idea down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts