Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no way 18 gallons will fit in the gas tank! The most I've ever been able to put in is 15! Am I missing something? Is there a secret reserve tank?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Some TJs came with 15 gallon tanks but most came with the 19 gallon. It'll never take more than about 17 if you refill when the gas gauge pointer is on the E. In fact, mine only takes 17 -18 or so when it's down at the bottom of the Reserve range.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
low light comes on after 14 gal. so you have 5 gal as a reserve.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just put in 16.5 gallons in on my 1999 2.5 and i was sadly on empty for a few days;( no way i had 2.5 gallons left, the jeep was dogging it...or was it just my 4 banger?? Hah

·
Registered
29 Posts
My build sheet says I have a 19gal tank. No way! Never been able to put more then 13 in it. Definitely a 15 gal tank.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Is it that big a problem. As long as you know when to stop for gas before running dry should be all that matters. After all why do you run it to empty anyway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you have a jerry can with some gas in it, you can run the tank down pretty far to see what you can put into it. I didn't have to run mine completely dry to manage an 18 gallon fill-up, so I'm pretty sure I have the 19 gallon build.

Also, remember, some TJs had 19 gallon tanks but have been modified to ready full at 15 gallons, depending in the year, this may affect you. See http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/1998-tj-gas-tank-mod-15-to-19-a-94857.html for one of many discussions.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/1998-tj-gas-tank-mod-15-to-19-a-94857.html

·
Registered
99 Posts
My build sheet indicates a 19 gallon tank and I've put in over 16 gallons several times. 19 gallon tanks became standard with the 1999 model year. If you haven't done so, I would suggest requesting a build sheet from Jeep/Chrysler. Got mine within 20 minutes of the online request form submittal.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have a 19 gallon tank and ive gotten it down to Less than a half gallon of gas in the tank. Filled it up to 18.6 gallons. Of course that was almost 3 days past the red line

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank guys! Honestly I was just curious and that was a "loud" title to get people's attention…I run it empty because I'm a high schooler with a job at a fast food joint and have no money…yet

1 - 13 of 13 Posts