Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread on my new build and figured I would throw up some pics of my first jeep/first project that really got the ball rolling on my love/hate relationship with jeeps.

I bought it when I was 19, stupid, and did not have any mechanical abilities. I have put 10 years and way more money than I will admit to here in it, but here it is.

If you ever want to do anything like this then learn from me.

START WITH A SOLID JEEP. Rust costs a small fortune to fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All of this builds pictures are on my work computer so I will have to add as I find time. The whole frame looked like that one frame pic, so out came the Quadratec catalog and a new frame was on its way. Painted it and got it back on the axles. Time to work on the body. Turned out it was in terrible shape too, sooo new jeep?

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue jeep, I think it was an 81, got tore down same as the orange 77. The blue jeep was in far better shape so it became the main vehicle. Only rust on the tub was behind the front seats under the roll cage mounting plate. Cut it out, patched it up, threw on the old Por-15 black, and then shot Por-15 Pow-R-Liner top and bottom. Ended up with a new frame plus the blue jeep tub and drivetrain,

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Added new fenders because out of the 4 I had, I couldn't come up with a set as cheap as buying new ones. I never intended to get this involved in a project, but I am pretty sure this is the normal progression of a jeep project. Rebuilt the axles and thought, why not rebuild the 304? So after I rebuilt the motor, I had nothing to do but put it together and start body work. That is far and above my least favorite thing about car work. Bondo, sand, repeat. Once that looks good you start with the primer. Prime, sand, repeat. They say do this step until you are satisfied you got everything worked out and then do it 2 more times. FALSE. I primed it twice and said **** it, I want to drive my jeep. My dad painted it for me and it looks perfect from 20 ft and even better when its moving 35 MPH. Of all the stuff and time I put into it, I would have to say the biggest and best thing I did was to liner the tub inside AND underside, and inside the engine bay. If you have the time and money to do that, I highly recommend it. I used POR-15, POW-R-Liner and I think they replaced it with POR-15 OEM Bed liner. I do not know the difference but I LOVE mine.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts