Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm back in the Jeep world! After selling my '00 TJ about a year and a half ago and missing it pretty much every day since, I decided to take the plunge and pick up another Jeep, but not as a daily driver. So after searching Craigslist, I found a 1980 CJ5 for sale about an hour away back in the fall. And here it is the day I trailered it home

1980 CJ5
Iron Duke
4 speed manual
Frame is perfect
Complete fiberglass body. Only metal is the grille.
Acme hardtop and doors
And it runs!

It looks a little rough in the pictures, but it was actually in great shape...just very dirty. Needed tires badly, so I trailered it home. After a short drive, I noticed that it smelled like hot cheese. One of the hinge pins on the driver's door was missing and it was just held in with an old allen wrench, causing the door to sag and allowing water to pool in the floorboards. I ripped out the interior, washed the carpets and cleaned the whole tub with bleach. No more cheese smell!

First on the list was welding in a new hinge pin and replacing the seal on the driver's door. No more leaks. The other door/liftgate seals will also be replaced.

I found a great deal on Craigslist for some tires. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R, 31x10.5. And the wheels will bolted right up too! I wasn't a huge fan of them, but for the price, I lived with them for a while. More on that later.

Much of the last couple months has been spent doing the little odds and ends jobs. Since the fall, I've done/added the following:

Rebuilt/tuned the carb
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil
Removed the rickety spare tire carrier and hitch
Added a locking center console
Installed a radio in the console in a custom built enclosure
Speakers in the dash
Black dash panel with radio delete
Installed bikini top (came with the Jeep)
Installed Bestop sport bar padding
Cleaned up a ton of wiring behind the dash
Replaced just about every bulb
Sandblasted and powder coated a bunch of parts
and just had a set of MT Classic IIIs in black mounted up the other day (with the 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's I picked up back in the fall.

I'm finally enjoying driving it on a pretty regular basis! The last thing that I need to do is get the doors and hardtop cleaned up, but no rush on that since I can keep it in the garage over the summer. Here are a few pictures of it as it currently sits. Comments/suggestions always welcome!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Minor update. The dash knobs were bugging me. I tried to polish them up, but with not great results. So I powder coated them flat black to match the radio delete panel and I'm really happy with how they turned out!

And no, I'm not looking to have it all "murdered out," I just like a consistent, clean look.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The white wheels in the first pictures were just steel wagon wheels. I sold those wheels and tires and picked up a set of black Mickey Thompson Classic 3s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts