Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,262 Posts
Pics would go a logn way. Not running? He's high at 15k unless that body is bone straight.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I love the old J8 but $15k does seem high if there is something wrong with the engine. $15k to me is not a "just get rid of it price" but if its in great shape and you feel like the engine is an easy fix or you are willing to replace it if need be its your money and if you want a J8 go for it.

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Marcus Aurieius,

That's quite a find. Maybe a bit overpriced since it's not running, but a fair price is "what a willing buyer would pay a willing seller and what a willing seller would charge a willing buyer". I've entered into worse deals for vehicles when I had a shop and ended up happy with the vehicle.

Keep us posted if you buy the Jeep and what you do with it.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
8,943 Posts
I have always admired them from a distance, but would probably never buy one as either a daily or casual vehicle. Just as I would never again buy a single cab PU. Just no room.

If it fits in you budget and you have a place to keep it inside, go for it. If I had $15K laying around, I probably would just to protect it. There weren't many to start with and one in good condition is quite a find. Even if you are not a Jeep guy (from your avatar).

Reactions: Marcus Aurleius

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have always admired them from a distance, but would probably never buy one as either a daily or casual vehicle. Just as I would never again buy a single cab PU. Just no room.

If it fits in you budget and you have a place to keep it inside, go for it. If I had $15K laying around, I probably would just to protect it. There weren't many to start with and one in good condition is quite a find. Even if you are not a Jeep guy (from your avatar).
I own 3 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I just thought it would be Cool to put up a picture of my 1998 Street legal Military M998 Hummvv.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Damn good looking rig tho! Doooo it!
Troy

Reactions: Marcus Aurleius

·
Premium Member
8,943 Posts
Sorry Marcus - my mistake jumping to a conclusion from a photo. Welcome the the forum. That Scrambler needs a good safe home. Consider it a rescue.

·
Registered
93 hi-po 2.5 AX5 RE 2.5" lift with 31" speed enhancing tires
1,217 Posts
Also, OP said it "was not running right". He did not say it was not running. There are only so many Scramblers out there, so if you like what you see and can easily fix what needs fixing, start haggling.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I saw that Jeep myself on FB. My .02 on buying older Jeeps. If the engine is not running well, factor in a rebuild into your offer. You never know, could simply be a carb adjustment or could be more serious problems. If it were mine, I'd probably get whatever it was taken care of before I listed it...assuming it was something simple. You never know until you tear into it. If you are an experienced mechanic, if it is the carb, you may be able to make some adjustments onsite when you take a look at it and feel better about the situation but I prefer to plan for the worst and offer accordingly. To me, 15K is on the high side. This looks like with some engine work, it could be a solid driver (not a fully restored trailer queen). Assuming there is no rot in the frame or body and the running gear is in good shape, something closer to 10-12K is probably more in line. That should give you enough wiggle room for a good refresh on the 258 and still not have too much into it later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a chance to buy a 1982 Jeep Scrambler. It is in Great condition. The motor is not running right. The owner just wants to get rid of it for 15,000. What are your thoughts? View attachment 4523572 View attachment 4523574
6 out of 40 Scramblers were sold under $15k since 2016 on Bring a Trailer, there rest above that amount and then some, so even though for those of us that like a deal, $15k is probably decent for a rig in that condition, especially if you can wrench and body work on it yourself. But us being us looking for a good deal, start a little lower and see what they say. My buddy sold his in worse shape than this 3 months ago for $21k.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had an '81 Jeep Cherokee with the 258 6cyl, and it had this weird Carter BBD carburetor from the factory. It was an early attempt at "computer control" for emissions. It had some kind of metering rods that were controlled by a "computer", and from what I've read many people complained that they wouldn't idle properly or run well at low speeds. (I was lucky, mine worked well). Sounds like that may be the trouble with this rig. If it is and you live in a state that allows carb changes, most people just replace it with a two-barrel Webber.

I'm not a big fan of Scramblers myself, but if you are this one looks like a pretty clean example.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd buy it if the frame and body were sound. I have a 1988 YJ and love it, owned for 3 yrs so far, my DD and moderate off roading. Mine originally had the computer controlled Carter carb. I replaced it with a Howell Throttle Body Injection (TBI) system. Great decision. That's exactly what I'd do with that J8 if the carb was the issue, no question.

Reactions: RubiconMike
1 - 20 of 20 Posts