Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife just bought me a pretty mint/rebuilt frame off restoration. Holy sh!t!

Has a Chevy 350 small block installed 2 owners ago (~1,000 miles). Runs great, but there are 2 issues. First it doesn't have a coolant overflow tank and the rad (hefty aluminum aftermarket now sure manufacturer) drips a bit when hot.

Can I install a stock CJ tank to handle this?

Second It seems to run a bit on the hot side. Do we have any 350 cooling experts here at WF?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Wife just bought me a pretty mint/rebuilt frame off restoration. Holy sh!t!

Has a Chevy 350 small block installed 2 owners ago (~1,000 miles). Runs great, but there are 2 issues. First it doesn't have a coolant overflow tank and the rad (hefty aluminum aftermarket now sure manufacturer) drips a bit when hot.

Can I install a stock CJ tank to handle this?

Second It seems to run a bit on the hot side. Do we have any 350 cooling experts here at WF?
A stock CJ overflow tank can handle it. See my build in the CJ section section. I installed a Novak 3 core aluminum radiator in my Jeep designed for CJ's with a 350.

My engine is bored .030 over so its a 355. Ported heads, bigger cam, bigger valves and it runs at 200 degrees sitting still with the electric fan they make.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A stock CJ overflow tank can handle it. See my build in the CJ section section. I installed a Novak 3 core aluminum radiator in my Jeep designed for CJ's with a 350.

My engine is bored .030 over so its a 355. Ported heads, bigger cam, bigger valves and it runs at 200 degrees sitting still with the electric fan they make.

Hope this helps

Thanks. Should be installed by saturday.

Found the issue. The fan fuse was blown. Gotta figure that out now... 10A seems too small. Not sure what the current fan is rated at - no tag/label on the damn thing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hope this helps
BTW your build is killer!

I need to clarify something. Running a little hot was certainly b/c fan not running. Found a 10A fuse blown (right off battery), which seems small - all diagrams I have seen are 25-30amp fuses off the battery for the fan.

Cant find an amp rating for the relay.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuse was too small on fan power supply. Had a minimum amp pull of 18A once I found the tag on radiator. Put a 25a in place and works fine!

·
Registered
563 Posts
BTW your build is killer!

I need to clarify something. Running a little hot was certainly b/c fan not running. Found a 10A fuse blown (right off battery), which seems small - all diagrams I have seen are 25-30amp fuses off the battery for the fan.

Cant find an amp rating for the relay.
Thank you, glad its working out

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just as a final update. I installed an aftermarket overflow tank and it works just fine.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks. Should be installed by saturday.

Found the issue. The fan fuse was blown. Gotta figure that out now... 10A seems too small. Not sure what the current fan is rated at - no tag/label on the damn thing.

The fan fuse should be 5-10A and the fan should get its power from a relay.

It sounds like they didn’t wire the fan with a relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts