Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time jeep owner and purchased a 1988 YJ with a 2.5l, I have been having a lot of problems with it, so I decided to do a carb conversion after reading a thread on this page. So far I have purchased a rochester single barrel carb, CJ7 distributor with the vacuum advance, and also a CJ7 ICM. I may have been confused with my research on the CJ7 ICM, but my question is, can I wire in the CJ7 ICM to the existing YJ wiring harness? I have read a post by @nobodyismyname with good information but I was still missing info. Any help would be appreciated, any pictures, videos, or explanations. Thank you!

I posted this first in the YJ discussions, wanted to post here also just because y'all might have more answers for me

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am in the middle of the same conversion, for similar reasons. Wire it just like it would be in a cj. The ecm isn’t running the engine anymore and the ignition part of the harness won’t be hooked up anyway. The computer can still be there to do whatever else it does (gauges, fuel pump...).
I went with a Cherokee carb manifold, Weber 32/36 and dui distributor...are you using the yj fuel pump? or new low pressure pump?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in the middle of the same conversion, for similar reasons. Wire it just like it would be in a cj. The ecm isn’t running the engine anymore and the ignition part of the harness won’t be hooked up anyway. The computer can still be there to do whatever else it does (gauges, fuel pump...).
I went with a Cherokee carb manifold, Weber 32/36 and dui distributor...are you using the yj fuel pump? or new low pressure pump?
I am using the YJ fuel pump, just putting a fuel pressure regulator in

1 - 3 of 3 Posts